1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Tonic....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chili, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i no this sounds pretty dumb, but what is a tonic? i'm new to all this scale stuff

and also what is a semi tone? agen i no this sounds dumb but i really need to no

2. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    England
    Have a read of Jazzbo's Scale and Chord Theory article here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125519

This will definately clarify what a semitone is (throughout the article) and there is a reference to what 'tonic' means in the vocabulary section! Hope this clears things up for you!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The tonic is just the first note of a scale. Like in a C scale, the tonic is C. It's also known as the root.

4. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    kool thx for both ur help, i am using this site to learn scales:

http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/scamip.htm#f

but its actually for keyboard, is it still possible to learn what i want to no from that site? or is there anyother sites like that for bass with some audio n stuff, and if that site is ok will i just have to ignor all the B after the scales since we dont have black on bass

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I fully believe that in order to REALLY understand theory, it helps to have a keyboard, because you can actually see the notes laid out in front of you, rather than looking at a bunch of frets that look pretty much identical. I might suggest getting a cheap keyboard. You don't have to be good at it, but it really helps to be able to bang a few notes and chords out on it.