Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Turner Tale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

A while back, I traded a 5 string fretless Turner Electroline bass for a 4 string Turner Renaissance bass. Shortly after I received the Renaissance, the neck developed a sever backbow and the truss rod was unable to correct it.

I contacted Rick Turner who felt the neck would need to be steamed to be fixed. If I sent the bass back, he offered to do it. I sent the bass back and the neck was fixed. This was done with no charge to me.

About two or three months after I received the fixed bass, the backbow returned. Once again, I called Rick who felt the neck was just too unstable to use and he offered to make a new neck. I sent the bass back. Also, by this time, a small surface crack started in the finish on the top. I asked if this could be fixed while he had the bass and I would cover the cost. Rick said he would look at it.

When the bass was returned, I looked at the invoice. Rick had made an entire new neck, refinished the top and upgraded the electronics to what they are currently using. All at no charge! Amazing, my Ren is a good as new; better than when I first received it.

So, I'd like to give a big thanks to Rick and Barry for standing by their products and taking care of me where they weren't obligated to.

Thanks You Rick and Barry,
    LeonD

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I only wish every company were so concerned with their clients. Great to hear this scenario. Go Rick!

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    That's really amazing! Class act!

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Not really my story, but I sold a Turner Electroline to a fellow bass player in Indiana and between here and there a pickup went out. The buyer sent the bass to Rick who repaired the bass at no charge.

I must say that Rick Turner has to be one of the tops in customer service. And in case you are wondering, his basses sound amazing and are wonderful to play. You really can't go wrong purchasing a Turner instrument.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Rick is one of the good guys. 'nuff said. :D

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Rick is one of the GREAT guys! There are stories upon
    stories like the ones above. Rick Turner is a rare gem
    in the musical intrument world. We're lucky to have him.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    As the guy who owned that Ren, I am A) stunned that a bass that I gigged with for over a year developed that kind of problem, and B) not stunned that Rick stood behind his work. He might spread himself a little thin and not be meeting the "I want it yesterday" customer's expectations, but his work and his ethic are top notch.

Leon, I'm glad it got resolved. I had no idea that this was such a serious issue with the bass.

Pete

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow at no charge... very impressive.

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Hi Pete, how's it going?

Do you still have the Electroline? How's that bass working out for you? While I had it, I thought it had great tone; what I'd call "bass appropriate tone".

Regarding the Ren, now that I have it back, I've have a chance to play it for a while. It does a great acoustic bass sound and a nice upright type sound (with nylon strings on it) but that's not the fretless sound I'm looking for. I'll probably be putting it up for sale in the next day or two as soon as I get some good pics. All this time to figure that out. :(

Not a problem though, that's why they call it GAS.

LeonD

10. That's a great story. I'm jealous. I've been without my bass since mid-december waiting for the factory to make a new neck. They haven't even made the new neck yet. :mad:

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Hey Leon, Everything is fine here. I recently got asked what I like to do aside from working and playing abss and all I could think of is *sleeP* so that is pretty much how it is going :bassist:

Yep, I still have the Electroline and it is still the one bass I haven't thought about selling. Every bass has its strengths and weaknesses, and the EL's strength is live playing. Those Turner soapbars are so open sounding that it is more like a microphone than a pickup. But for recording that can be a little weird. The impulse from my plucking stands out a lot.

The Ren is a mysterious beast. I played a lot of loud gigs with it and it flooded the place with that huge tone. But for that Jaco/PedullaBuzz sound it is not the best candidate. It has such an innate tone that it doesn't do the chameleon thing too well.

I don't check this side of TB too often but I'm glad I found out what happened with that Ren.

Drop me an email before you list it, please.

Pete

12. He really is tops with customer service and he stands behind his products 100%, unlike some other manufacturers...(MVP comes to mind, but that's another story).

One of the nicest guys I've ever met - Rick, if you're reading this, I hope my Ren will be ready by this weekend, I do miss playing it!

Russ

13. This is a stellar example of a small company possessing an admirable level of business integrity to go above and beyond the call of duty! :)

Coupling an excellent level of customer service alongside a competently crafted product allows small companies run by respectable luthiers like Rick Turner to stand out amongst the competition.

Rick Turner's Standard Renaissance Semi-Acoustic basses are simply amazing! I played a 5-string a few years ago at Make'n Music in Chicago (http://www.makenmusic.com/html/bass.html) and without question, I was blown away by the construction of the entire instrument.

It is clear that Rick and his small "team" pay attention to every single detail of construction, as opposed to just "getting basses out the door" to make a quick buck. This is why he is so well-known in the space and ultimately, a primary reason for his success as a small business owner.

LeonD: I am glad to hear that everything worked out well with regards to your specific bass problems. :)

Cheers,

Jay

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    8-9 years ago I read an article in Bass Player magazine that Rick wrote dealing with applying a finish on a bass. I had some additional questions so I contacted Bass Player magazine to see if they could forward my questions to Rick. Instead they gave me his shop phone number. I called and got his answer machine and left a message stating I had some questions pertaining to his article in the magazine. I figured that once he heard what I wanted he probably wouldn't return my call but the next day I got a call from Rick. I was so impressed that he not only called me back but also gave me some tremendous finishing tips and never seemed rushed to get off the phone. A real class guy!

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Leon, if Pete doesn't buy it back, then drop me a line. I shouldn't even be considering it, but I'd like a 4-string Ren.

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, that's Rick Turner for ya. I've had occasion to go to the shop a few times (he's about 90 minutes south of here). Great guy, I brought in my Electroline fretless 5 as I wanted to see about modifying the tone control...he ended up installing a stacked knob tone knob on the spot (one tone knob for magnetic, one for piezo) and it turned out so well he made it a standard feature on all Electrolines.

Tip: next time you talk with him, ask him why fluorescent lights hum... :D

17. Rick Turner is indeed a truly wonderful, kind gentleman as well as a great innovator.

I sold my Ren 4 fretted a while back since I play 5 strings exclusively now (my aging brain can't deal with switching back & forth) and I've been missing it so I recently got a sweet fretless Ren 5 with a black top and rope purling that sounds and feels fantastic.
    [​IMG]

Aloha,

Jonathan

18. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have an Electroline that was custom-made for a guy in Texas. I wanted some mods on it (work was being done by Mike Lull) and Mike had to call Rick to get some info on wiring. Rick not only gave him alll the info, but also shipped matching knobs! As everyone has said, you can't go wrong with Rick Turner..he makes great instruments and stands behind all of them.