a typical PJ .... but wired in series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Rioli, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I'm aware of the S-1 switch on a Jazz bass and of the aftermarket Position 4 on a Telecaster guitar, and know what changes when their two single coil pickups are put in series.

But I haven't managed to find much info about how a PJ sounds when wired in series. I'm contemplating adding that option to my Yamaha BB424, as I seem to have gone off the tonal hallmarks of two pickups combined in parallel.

I'm hoping it just gently fills in the slight hollowness in the middle of the tone, but I'm wondering if would just make a nasty, constricted, overly thick parp?

So, please tell me, if you know :) A link to a worthwhile demo would make me very grateful.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  2. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    *admires the eloquent silence*

Right, got the message! :smug:

3. chesapeake slim

chesapeake slim

Sep 20, 2021
    i actually just got parts in to add a series/parallel switch to an old Rogue P/J and plan on wiring it up over the weekend. if no one helps you out before then, i'll post a series/parallel comparison for you when i finish (assuming i did my diagram right! lol)

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  4. CaptainLeisure

CaptainLeisure Gold Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I'm curious to see how it turns out, too. When I got my Tony Franklin I had the wild notion of being able to switch the p-coils to parallel, and then put those in series with the j pickup. Sanity prevailed, and I never tried it.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Have a look at the results of this query
    Search Results | TalkBass.com p forum:"38"
    (interspersed with questions/answers about wiring, you should find comments on resulting tone).

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ricky Rioli likes this.
  7. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    If I click that link I get a whole load of results that have nothing to do with series wiring, and one result about the wiring of the two coils of a humbucker.

8. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I was wondering why I didn't like any of the sounds, and then I read the small print: flatwounds. Ughhhhh whyyyyyyy. [/PERSONALTASTE] I'm trying to get my imagination to work out how those differences would transpose to nice hexcore rounds and Yamaha's unrestrained single coil bridge pickup. Wish it luck.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Screenshot-20211216-132830-Samsung-Internet.jpg

10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Godin Shifter Classic and Passion both come with a 4 way switch , including series / parallel. None of these demos are fantastic* but gives you some idea:

*the first one is the best production, but he plays 2 totally different lines and styles for the 2 positions. Like, cmon man! :bored:

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  11. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    By adding palm muting for the series is he saying that it sounds like :poop: ?

CallMeAl likes this.
  12. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Ha! Probably just trying to be flashy :rolleyes:

13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    It came out broken when I pasted it. Try this one:
    Search Results | TalkBass.com

In practice the keywords are "series" but also "p" and "j" (it seems to yield "pj" as well), with "titles only" and "Pickups & Electronics [BG]" forum selected.

14. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    So, a lot of threads asking how to do the wiring, interspersed with people who haven't done it guessing what it'll sound like :thumbsup:

15. chesapeake slim

chesapeake slim

Sep 20, 2021
    yo ricky, just finished up the wiring and slapped on some new strings over my lunch break today. the difference is stark and very cool, imo. the series signal is much bigger and thicker. possibly louder too. now that I hear it, it sounds pretty much exactly like the j-bass guys describe when they do it to their j/j axes. would be great for taking a solo onstage.

hope to have a moment to lay down a comparison recording for you in the next day or so.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  16. chesapeake slim

chesapeake slim

Sep 20, 2021
    here's the promised demo. goes without saying, but make sure you listen with headphones. it's a little sloppy - i hope talkbass will forgive me.

i recorded a little rancid riff four ways

(1) pickups in parallel - fingerstyle
    (2) pickups in series - fingerstyle
    (3) pickups in parallel - pick
    (4) pickups in series - pick

the rig is as follows:

rogue lx200b series II (i think, 2001ish) w stock pickups, strung w/ medium gauge roundwounds straight to a steinberg UR22mkII interface. not that i think anyone will hear the difference, but the pots are 500k and i wired a 0.068 uF cap at the tone pot. the pick is a tortex orange (0.60mm).

hope this helps you out. only your ears can tell if it's overly thick parp to you!

Attached Files:

HaphAsSard and LetItGrowTone like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022