1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AAD AG-100 Cub (Phil Jones) Suitable for upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by derrenleepoole, Jan 7, 2008.

1. I know Phil Jones Bass has the small 100 watt Briefcase for upright bass. But when I was at a trade show recently, one of the blokes at the stand I was at trying out some PJP stuff, remarked that the Cub is a good upright amp and knew of players who were using as such. Even though it's aimed at guitarists and the like.

Has anyone here experience or used this amp in this way?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played through one of these last year at NAMM, and I am sure I'll be seeing it again this week at NAMM. We didn't have an URB on hand last year, but I heard acoustic guitar and fiddle through it, and man, did it sound great! I would think that it would be pretty good on URB, as well.

FWIW, I do have a Flight Case, and I must say, it delivers the goods as advertised and then some. You aren't going to play big rooms without PA support, but for more modest volume needs it is fantastic.

Tom.

3. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I had to borrow a Carvin AG-100 for a few gigs a while back. It actually sounded pretty good. I know you all are talking about the PJB, though.

4. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    I second the man from Ohio, and raise him a Neo 6B and Neo 8B.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You would, you bastard. :D

6. Dave Hobbs

Dave Hobbs

Jan 18, 2008
    Wales UK
    I've recently bought a PJB Flightcase and it works brilliantly for double bass - very clear tone with lots of bottom end. As others have said, it's ideal for smaller jazz-club type gigs and you can easily DI it through the PA for bigger venues.
    I also tried the AAD Cub today (as I also want a smaller amp for when I play guitar). I play Joe Pass / Martin Taylor style (I wish) and the Cub is great for that. Despite its great tone and portability, the Cub has much less bottom end than the Flightcase. I wouldn't use it for bass, other than for practice. The Cub's specs say also that its lowest frequency coverage is quite a bit higher than the Flightcase.

Hope this helps a bit.

7. Well, my interest is purely selfish! The Cub is approximately half the price of the Briefcase here in the UK. So if it could handle an URB, ABG or even an EUB then you can see the obvious attraction to the unit as a possible small gig/practice amp.

I did find this great clip on youtube were Phil Jones actually talks about his gear and the Cub is mentioned link.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021