Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aaliyah tune, Freddy Washington on bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I happened to "listen-by" Aaliyah's "If your girl only knew", and the bass line was phenominally cool, very Tony Levin-esque. So much so that I actually thought it might be Tony on the recording. All I can find on the internet is that "Fabulous" Freddy Washington played bass on the album. Anybody have a sleeve of the CD or a better online source to confirm he played on that particular track?

I'm going to have to listen to more of Freddy, what a cool freakin' line . . . I really encourage everyone to check it out.

2. I can't confirm that Freddie played on that album, but he does play some good lines and sounds great on the Crusaders "Rural Renewal" album - which is a recent reunion of the Crusaders.
    Worth going out of your way to listen to.
    I don't know much more about Freddie, I believe he plays a p bass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Washington has been one of the busiest guys around for years.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Freddie has been using a Ken Smith 5 for a long time. Not sure what he's using right now.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Same guy, and he used a p-bass on that song!
    :bassist:

6. Looks like freddy has upgraded from plain ol "Ready Freddy" to "Fabulous Freddy".....

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    his regular Ken Smith 5 and the new KSD 4/5.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I believe this kid by the name of Dante' Nolan played bass on that Aliyah CD as well he also plays with Missy Elliot