Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABE LABORIEL !!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by demolition, Jan 7, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    WOW ! What an awesome funk bassists . Untill last week I have never heard of him,but he sure made made an impression that made up for lost time.
    I bought one of his bass tapes from G.Center called"FUNK BASS",And believe it or not i learned more from this tape on funk playing than i could of imagined.
    He makes it fun and easy to grasp,and gives like 5 options on ways to achieve funk bass(alternitives to slapping).GREAT TAPE !

2. I have Guidum and Dear Friends on CD they are AWESOME!

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I also have that tape and it is very good.Abe was one of the first bassists that I saw back in "77 that did all this double/triple plucking when he was with a band call "Friendship then a year later I saw him with one of his bandmates out that band which was Lee Rittenhour.IMO this was some of Abe's best work plus the real early stuff he did with Al Jareau.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have him on a video. He reminds me of a modern day Jamersom. Amazing, but unknown to the unwashed.

5. :cool:

Yes, Abe is 'presidential' in the session scene. Over the years I have kept track of the session musicians on the albums and cd's I have bought, his name is quite popular!! And his playing is like chocolate ice cream.
    :)

6. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Abraham Laboriel (not to be confused with his son 'Abe' who plays drums with Paul McCartney's band, among others) is truly a genius, and a hero of mine.

I've been a fan of his since the early 80's through his work with Micheal Omartian and the band Koinonia, and session worth with Ritenour. I got to see him about 15 years ago with Larry Carlton at the Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara (with his buddy Alex Acuna on percussion and the late Carlos Vega on drums) and man, oh, man, he had a solo that made the hair on the back of my neck not only stand up, but leave town! I remember him leaping up and down like a pogo stick while he did it ...a slappin' monster!

7. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Abe is like Vic's daddy, he's the granddad of the modern basstechniques. I sometimes do his flamencostrums, they're very cool! but it takes sometime to make them sound as tight as he does though.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Man.Carlos Vega.I would've love to play with this cat.I have him on one of the last videos he did with James Taylor.He and Jeffry Pocaro just were truly gifted and musical drummers .

9. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Wow I thought there would be more feedback on such a talented bassists as ABE,I guess if his music was more "MODERN" he would be more well known.:(

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Abe Sr is fantastic, and very well regarded around here. Do a search and you'll find lots of conversation about him here. I have the Koinonia "Celebration" album and there's some INSANE bass solos on there.

His son is a fantastic drummer also, I absolutely LOVE his work with Paul McCartney. Great tasteful drummer with great backing vocals.

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Take a good listen to the "Sanford & Son" theme. Some GREAT playing by Abe there!

12. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I had always been under the impression (I had heard it somewhere, can't remember where) that S&S theme was played by Chuck Rainey. Anyone know for sure?

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It was Chuck. I remember reading that he was still pissed, because he hit the wrong at the end, and Quincy liked it, so he kept it.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sorry, that ain't Abe!!

15. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Yup, you are right. I knew that and wasn't thinking when I typed...What a dope...That's what I get for letting my fingers go faster than my brain! :rolleyes:
    Sorry about that.

16. Yeah!
    Have you seen that video of A. Laboriel on stage with Stanley Clarke? In case not, check it @ Stanley Clarke.com