Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abersold series

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by romac, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Yes another thread, I'm full of questions today :D

I often here the Abersold series being thrown around a lot here (specifically by Jazzbo) and I saw that Jazzbo included it in his practice regime. So I went to www.jazzbooks.com but I don't know where to start. Could someone please recommend the Abersold books that are of good use to bassists, or is just all the books in the 'Bass' section??

Thanks for any help

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Good beginner books from the Abersold series:

vol. 2 - Nothin' But Blues
    vol. 3 - The II-V7-I progression
    vol. 16 - Turnarounds, Cycles, and II/V7's
    vol. 42 - Blues In All Keys
    vol. 47 - I Got Rhythm (all 12 keys)

There are a number of books that are collections of standards, some are better than others and it's purely from a song selection standpoint.

3. Thanks a lot, I will check them out.

4. some good ones with *songs* that you can play along to (the ones that beermonkey mentioned are mostly 'work' books):

Vol 54 - Maiden Voyage
    Vol 25 - All Time Standards
    Vol 40 - Round Midnight
    Vol 65 - Four and More

that should keep you busy for a while. Then go to:
    Vol 15 - Payin Dues
    Vol 33 - Wayne Shorter

These books/discs were instrumental (no pun intended :smug: ) in my development in jazz.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They are actually all meant primarily for soloists in Jazz - like Sax, Trumpet,Trombone, Flute etc. So, the idea was to provide a rhythm section for soloists, so they weren't always stuck practicing on their own.

But they are also designed to help rhythm section players as well, by having piano and bass panned to each side of the stereo mix - so you can get rid of the bass and just have piano and drums to play along with. Or you could just try playing the melody and solos over the top of what is going on.

The point is that they are all equally useful for bassists trying to get into Jazz and I just tend to pick artists that I like - like Horace Silver or Freddie Hubbard. Although I find Gettin It Together and Major/minor useful for focused practice.

But having said all that, there is one that is meant as a rhythm section workout - VOl 30b is aimed at bassists and drummers -

[​IMG]