1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ABG owners - How often do you play yours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gigslut, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Daily (or almost)

31 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Once or twice a week

32 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Once or twice a month

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. A few times a year

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Collecting dust in the corner

23 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. carrots

22 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Time to settle this once and for all. I've seen it claimed by some who have found little use for their ABGs that the majority of ABG owners feel the same way. These posts are usually followed by several "I play mine all the time" replies. So if you own one, please respond to the poll with the answer that most closely matches your frequency of use, and comment if you will on what situations in which you find it useful. If you used to own one and sold it, feel free to respond as well.

Just to clarify; practicing at home counts as "playing your ABG"

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I put a few times a year, but I might do 5 gigs with it a year and do 2-3 jams a year....

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    What about at home?

4. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I do play mine all the time but rearly on a gig. I can only think of one or two gigs that I've used it. I use it mostly for jam sessions with friends and for figuring out tunes when I dont want to deal with the upright or amps. And its great for sitting on the couch and practicing while watching TV. (that will probably start a whole different debate!)

5. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I put once or twice a week, although lately it's been almost daily.

But then sometimes life gets in the way, and I don't touch it for awhile.

It is by far my most used and played bass. By far.

When I was in my last gigging band (country/southern rock/americana) I used it for about 25% of our setlist.

6. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    when I practice in my apt I use my acoustic. But I have band practice with my two bands twice a week and gigs every weekend so my electrics see much more use as I assume is most typical

7. gig with mine weekly and pick it up a few times during the week.
    i love the weight factor and the ability to sit down on acoustic gigs. i plan on doing more acoustic and less electric gigs this year although i admit i do miss playing my alembic and getting " loud " at times

8. MD

MD Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I voted carrots. I don't play it every day but it's the only bass I play and gig with.

B-10-1.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    There were other options between "Daily" and "carrots";)
    Awesome TB10! It's on my wish list. I saw one on eBay last week at a ridiculously low BIN, but still out of my league. It was gone in hours. There are very few demos on youtube of that bass and none that have great fidelity and playing, do you have any clips?

10. MD

MD Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Yes, but I've always wanted to vote carrots on something!

Gino Vanelli - People Gotta Move (Live @ DWDD) - YouTube

I have recordings of my B10 as well. Will see about getting them posted.

There's another B10 owner here on TB who plays his vertically. Can't remember his name but he has several videos.

11. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
  12. MD

MD Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    These are a few clips of my B10 playing with friends. Give it time to load.

Welcome

13. This has always been the issue for me, even when I thought of getting a Fender Victor Bailey ABG. Would I actually use it? I was convinced at the time I would get loads of use from it, having just heard Stanley Clarke playing one on The Toys of Men. When I thought long and hard about it, I supposed I wouldn't, despite also being a big Jonas Hellborg fan!

I consulted a friend of mine who had bought an ABG and questioned him about it. Turned out his was collecting dust; given the occasional tune up and put back in it's case. He had bought it for an acoustic trio group, yet found it wasn't loud enough to project over the guitar, never mind the drums. So he took to plugging it in to an amp, only to find he had to live with the foibles of an ABG, namely the bulky body, fat-ish neck and high string tension. Eventually, he decided his electric basses sounded and felt better in the same situation, and were less prone to feedback and he retired the ABG. He probably still has it.

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

Great tracks! I limit my Breedlove mostly to all acoustic situations, but the tracks you've provided show well the B10 stands up to electric instruments as well when plugged in.

I have a friend with same name as you, and he plays bass.

15. GolemTB

GolemTB

Dec 22, 2011
    `

I voted for 1nce or 2wice a month cuz I
    wasn't sure of your definition of AGB. If
    it hasta mean "full bodied", then I don't
    use it a whole lot. If it can mean a thin
    acoustic, like the Godin, then I use it all
    the time.

@MD:

I've got a B-10 also. I found that a gig
    bag for a cello makes it a lot easier to
    take it more places. My B-10 is the only
    "full body" ABG I've found to be worth
    toting at all. Even tho lesser "full body"
    ABGs are SO much easier to tote, they
    just ain't worth it :-(

`

16. I used to play mine almost daily when I was in an original acoustic band, but right now, not very often.

17. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I play mine a few times a week. Mainly when everyone is in bed and I want to jam.

18. I play mine all the time one is by my desk and the other is usually by the couch where they are easier to grab than my other basses. I also use an ABG for a songwriters roundtable almost monthly and some demo sessions. Other than that I rarely gig with either ABG.

19. Bought mine around 6 years ago, used it for a few folk projects but quickly realized that i prefer an electric even with acoustic instruments and that the volume isnt enough to play with more than a couple acoustic guitars!
    Its been in my closet for years and i just take it out to tune it up once or twice a year...

20. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    I put once or twice a month for a couple of reasons.

1) Every once in a while (more like once a year) someone wants to jam and its cool to have an acoustic jam with bass, but realistically unless you're in the right room it's always hard to hear a bass outside even with a booming volume.

2) I rarely ever plug in my bass because I just simply don't like the way it comes through the amp. Possibly due to electronics and possibly due to the characteristics of the signal that the pickup is receiving. That being said, I've covered for tons of bass players in groups, done studio work, play at home frequently and practice multiple times a week. Through all that, I've never really found a great niche for the acoustic bass to fit in because I think it'd be hard to replicate the electric bass sound I like with an acoustic bass.

Every individual has their own opinion though, don't let just me sway you on your thinking.

For the purposes of playing style and setting, I play everything besides Country, Heavy Metal, and Bluegrass.

Best regards,

Brooks