Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ableton Live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Aug 2, 2005.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Anybody actually using Ableton Live to loop your bass in a live setting, and if so, would you mind walking me through how it actually all works (I assume you're using a laptop and some kind of interface with low latency).

Thanks.

--JES

2. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    The program has built-in tutorials which will walk you through everything. The tutorials are awesome and definitely the best place to start.
    It's a very powerful program (like most newer sequencers), and even if you want to learn how to do this one simple thing, you are going to have to put some time into learning how to set everything up.

3. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    You may want a Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller. Ableton's MIDI remote support is incomplete but workable. I'm using a Toshiba laptop, RME multiface, and either a Presonus Bluetube (not so great, but it is racked next to my Multiface), or a Focusrite Octopre (a lot better). Search the Ableton user forum Tips and Tricks for ESSENTIAL CONFIG for one effective way to set up Live.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Just a heads up - Live5 is out now.

5. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My upgrade should be in the mail. Am hoping for improved MIDI remote features.

6. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, one and all. But my question still stands -- are any of you performing with it and actually looping your bass through it? The examples I saw on the Ableton website made it look more like an accompaniment thing with beats and other prerecorded material, or a sketchpad for multitracking at home. I'm thinking more in terms of, can you use Live instead of something like an Electrix Repeater or Boss Loop Station? If so, how does that work?

Thanks.

--JES

7. Unless there's some new or unexplored possibilities, it's just for other tracks, it's not a recordable looper like the standard bunch you mentioned.
    But if I'm wrong I would be happy to hear of anyone using it that way. There is a freebie software looper called ambiloop, I haven't messed with it much but it looked promising.
    Dirk