Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About Basses Generally

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B.C.Rich_Beast_, Apr 30, 2004.

1. B.C.Rich_Beast_

B.C.Rich_Beast_

Apr 30, 2004
    Well, I am a new bassist (i have my bc rich beast bass since Christmas) i've bought a book to learn anf have also downloaded some tabs over the net. I would like to start lessons and so i can learn all the techniques and in this way i will have learned to play the bass and generally be good. I would like to know whether this is easy (about the lessons ) how much time they'l take and also i am thinking of learning electric guitar as well.Will this be easy???

Please feel free to send me your replies
    Thanks!!

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, this wont be easy - not a single instrument is easy to learn. To learn it properly, it will take many years - but it can be lots of fun meanwhile! ;)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To me, the biggest factors you can't be taught are;

> note selection/choice (what sounds best where ?) You listen to a song with a fine bassist and you understand why the bassist chose that note, because it has so much more impact than another note

> knowing when and when NOT to play (a moment of silence often has more impact than some show-off riff)

> being the pulse of the music (drummers can take off while you are the glue that holds it all together)

It's any easy instrument to learn IMO. It's a very difficult instrument to learn to play well. For instance, learning to form an C chord without thinking can be very difficult for a budding guitarist. But, while playing a C note can be easy for a bassist, it's all about touch, feel, dynamics, and knowing if that note gives the music the most emotional impact at that point in the music.

Not to be a jerk, but just to let you know I'm not some guy quoting from a book, I've been playing bass for decades

Welcome to the instrument that REALLY makes it happen!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    rickbass said it really well...

It's all about instinct, when to play, and NOT playing often excentuates other musicians. What to play... once you learn your intervals, feelings of them, chords, modes, inversions, and all that stuff, you can add a subtle, yet powerful feeling of tension or release. The bassist is definately the heart and soul of the band, manages the space between the cocky guitarist and the moron drummer. You're the supportive part of the band, be happy. Go, learn. You'll be happy. :)

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I quick advise... from a moron:
    Dont go for whats easy... go for whats more fun for you... ya you might learn to play guitar or bass faster and you think one is easier then other... but if you do not enjoy learning it... you will not enjoy playing it, you will IMO NEVER be good at it... or as good as you would be with something you enjoy as well as it be pain in the butt to learn it... you know... diffrents between "its hard to get myself todo something" vs "its hard to make myself stop doing something even though i suck majorly (me)"

I am not saying that you dont... but its just food for thought:] gives you something to think about... what will you enjoy doing more:]

now this probebly makes no sense at all because... i am a moron... :p

Plus if you doing it for the chicks... bass is a wrong way to go.. bassist never get chicks... its a scientific fact :D jp :D

Cheers

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    well, bass philosophy is good, but if you want the practical beginnings try WHeat's Bass Book-- I forget the url but google it and it'll be right there. Best beginner bass resource I've yet seen.

7. though I'v never done it... the traingle looks easy but then again, it might not be.

way to go the bass way... everyone loves a bass player

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    rickbass said it very well. Learn the four strings...they are not as simple as it appears. I cant play a guitar to save my life because 17 years ago I picked up a bass and have not been able to put it down. Being the jack of all trades and the master of none just dont cut it for me. So find a good teacher and read and LISTEN. LISTEN to everything you can get your hands on; Davis, Monk, Jamerson, Geddy, Allen Woody just to name a few. :bassist:

9. I also agree with RickBass about the factors of learning, but I disagree that they can't be taught. Since I've been at music school, there have been a few teachers that have taught me some important stuff about note selesction and when not to play.

I also want to emphasize that it's important to learn how to read. Don't bother using tab. Learning music notation will be far more beneficial even though it will take more time to learn.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *Thread hijack*
    If you play the triangle, then you have to wait for a lot of time, count measures and listen and read what the other musicians are doing, and you have to hit your triangle at the exact time, not sooner, not later, but at the right time, or you will have your ass kicked... Much easier than many instruments, but you still have to learn music theory and reading music to do it - and I dont think you enjoy banging that stupid triangle all day as much as if you were doing that on bass ;)
    *Thread hijack off*

"Bass - easy to learn, difficult to master..."

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Rhythm guitar is simple to learn, difficult to get good at. The same goes for most lead styles. Saying guitar is harder than bass is a flat out lie, both require extreme dedication to an instrument. Also, I have never heard any guitarist play the kind of bass that I like (dynamic, not strictly roots, without wanking).

Also the majority of mainstream music that I have heard lately sounds like I could play the guitar parts with my eyes closed. Nowadays all they do is detune to drop C, pump one finger power chords, and sing exactly like Kurt Cobain. :meh:

12. jbass

jbass

Mar 22, 2004
    Everything said, more importantly, be patient and enjoy playing the bass.

Don't fast track everything, or you'll forget them as easily as you learned them. Learning notation should be a must.