1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About to have to sell out......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by comicbookguy95, Jul 18, 2012.

1. So i'm 26 and I finally graduated with my Bach degree in May. been having a bit of trouble landing that first job but have recently gotten the inside track on a possible position with a VERY large company. the only problem is that i have to go CLEAN CUT, which means I gotta cut the hair and shave the beard i've been sporting for 9 years....... and that sucks:crying: my wife of almost 6 years has only seen me beardless once and that was before we started dating..

im not really in a position to not go for this but it just hate having to change for a job.:rollno:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That would be a bummer to shave the beard and still not get a job. Too bad you couldn't get a job, then agree to shave your beard before you start.

-Mike

3. Ummm, it's hair, it's not selling out.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Even hockey players in the NHL making 7-8 million dollars a year are required to shave and sport a suit, so... very few people can escape this.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1.

6. until the Playoffs.......

7. Jesus has a beard.

8. Change your drawers while you're at it. Change isn't bad, it's your attitude that is sucking.

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    A trimmed and tidy beard in no way would offend a hiring manager. Especially if you acknowledge the dress code, stating you would conform once you are hired. Long hair is a hit or miss. Probably a miss considering the size and corporate culture you eluded to. However, if you are not a guarantee for the position you can gamble. I personally had long hair and a beard when interviewing for my current company. I trimmed my hair to just above my shoulders, pulled it back (no part in the middle) and drastically trimmed my beard. I used copious amounts of hair spray to hold the fly-aways down so as to look as neat as possible. My appearance was discussed as an after thought in the sense of "hey I want to hire this guy, but I need to break the bad news to him, how will he react?".

If you have an inside track....then you know someone close to the company. Get their opinion, as they would be the most informed.

Sorry man, I know how it is to have an attachment to your hair/beard, but in the long run, if you have to cut it, you might find it liberating (like being able to jump out of the shower without taking 20 minutes to comb through the rat nest ;))

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He also saves. He's wicked fast with his glove hand.

-Mike

11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this one.

12. I had a beard for years, now I couldn't imagine having it. Make sure you dress well for the interview. Check out www.indocheno.com if you need a new suit.

lowsound

13. With the way the economy is these days, if an employer told me to shave off all the hair everywhere on my body if it meant landing a good job I'd probably do it. :eek:;)

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Start your own business.
    Then you can come to work looking any way you want to. If you feel like working at all.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Cry about it at the interview ,but eat a mess of pea soup first ,no spoons allowed.

16. And he's in construction.

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

But woefully short supply on disposable razors.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't see the problem. Much of life is presenting yourself in a way that facilitates business or relationships with others. You're just joining the real world.

You will CONSTANTLY change as you go through life - some changes for the best, some not. Your looks and habits will also change. Welcome to employment! :D

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you want the job, you do what they want. It's that simple. If you start your own company, you can do what you want.

20. If there were a multitude of jobs to be had that you could choose from, I'd say stick to your guns.

With this economy, and the lack of employment opportunities, I'd say go ahead and make an appointment with the barber.

Hair will grow back.