1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ABRSM Exam level pieces - source of audio/video?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by aonindy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. aonindy

aonindy

Jul 13, 2008
    Hi all,

I started into DB last year - had a teacher for 6 months for the basics then had to leave that, but have continued practise of course.

Looking into the future I would like to take some exams - I have looked at the Syllabusses bit.ly/vvzZoD and am wondering if anyone knows of a source for Videos or Audio (mp3 etc) of the pieces required to help pick a level / pieces one might enjoy playing?

For example, I see in grade 3 one piece is "Schumann Melody Op. 68", however the only video/audio I can trawl up on youtube is related to Piano bit.ly/Ph4XgC

thanks,

Allen.

2. cold elephant

cold elephant

May 9, 2005
    Hi Allen,

From what I can remember of ABRSM Double Bass repertoire, quite a fair few of the pieces until the higher grades (6, 7 and 8) are transcriptions of material for other instruments, so as you mention you might have to do quite a lot of listening to musicians other than bass players to get to know them. That said, it's always good to broaden your horizons, and listening to the great pianists and violinists is a good way to hear interpretations that are free of all the technical worries of the double bass.... I'm sure you'll be able to find some recordings of some of these Bach/Mozart/Rameau/Corelli pieces on youtube. I don't think some of those pieces on that syllabus have changed in donkey's years!

Here is a recording of one of the grade 8 pieces played on the double bass - .

They're both interesting for different reasons, and I think if at all possible it's definitely a good idea to listen to the original when you can.

Hope that's of some help

Adam

3. aonindy

aonindy

Jul 13, 2008
    Excellent Adam - many thanks!

Allen.