1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accoustic strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zolbol, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Hiya people.

Just a quick one...

I'm busy with my first project bass - I'm turning my semi-accoustic bass into a fretless accoustic.:bassist:

I was just wondering...

Exactly what is the difference between genuine accoustic strings as opposed to electric strings.. And of course either will work but will there be much audible difference between the two..

Many thanks

2. Of course a set of Phosphors that are generally used on ABGs will be acoustically louder, but to the piezo pup it makes little difference plugged in. The phosphors will be a little more prone to finger noise as compared to standard bass strings and in many of them they willbe very bright and have a little less lowend compared to a standard nickel electric set.
    I have a fretless Carvin AC40 ABG that, at least to me, actually sounds better and more acoustic with a set of GHS Precision flats (.45-.95) and gives it an uprite sort of vibe to it. But if I go back to phosphors I'd use the new Fender set which have a deeper sound to them with less finger noise than most phosphor sets.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Also, within the flats category each brand has a different sound. LaBella sounds different from GHS which sounds different from Chromes etc. I would also look into tapewounds. For me they have some of the best qualities of rounds and flats.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    In my fretted Acoustic Bass Guitar I prefer La Bella Black Tapewounds. They sound thumpy without fretnoise and purrrr even on my $100 ABG.
    Phospors would work horribly on a fretless I think, for slides and such.

Electric Bass needs steel or a magnetic metal, ABG does not, thats the main difference in construction.

5. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Thanks for the replies guys.. Luis thats what i meant - there must some kinda fundamental difference else they wouldn't call them accoustic strings.. Many thanks..

And yeh still deciding guys - think I'm gonna go with chromes or TI jazz flats if i can get them - they seem to get much love around here..

Thanks again for the words guys.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I can highly recommend you try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bella-Black-Nylon-Tape-Wound/dp/B000EEJDLE

They have been in my bass for about 4 years or more. They wont quit. And Im not a fan of flatwounds on the electric, but these kill on the acoustic.

ROtosound makes something similar colled Trubass RS88 (cheaper)I think. But they come in a higher gauge and have yellow silk wrappings. I bought those as a backup for the La Bellas, but so far... never needed them.

7. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Thanks Luis..

So many choices only one bass hahah..

Nylon tapewounds hmmm... Must be super soft and silky.... Hmmm..

Lolol now i really dont know hahahah - Bass should be ready by the weekend and if I want a string the local shop doesn't stock, then I'll have to order, and time is running out hahahaah..

I'm gonna be sitting with my new project fretless bass over the weekend with no strings.. LOL.:help:

Or I'll just start a new fad...

You should see me shred my stringless:ninja:

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  9. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Yeh thanks MD.. 19.00 sounds about right - And better yet my local shop has some in stock so wooo hooo...

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Oh, I should also add that I've been using the 760N's for more then a few years on two acoustics, and recommend them highly.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    La Bella is one of the Best String Makers.

12. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Thanks guys.. I am sold on the La Bella's... Picking up a set tomorrow and should be plucking by the weekend..

Thanks again...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021