Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AccuGroove El Whappo/Schroeder 1210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Aug 2, 2004.

1. First... the mandantory thanks.
    1) Pete more than impressed this past Saturday, not just by hosting the GTG in the Dallas area, but with his sweet basses, and great personality. He was a more than gracious host, and I had a blast. His basses were quite the center of attention... http://www.skjolddesign.com/
    2) It was great to meet Jorg Schroeder and his wife, and see and hear some of his remarkable new cabinets. www.schroedercabinets.com just the fact that he drove from California out to Dallas for the GTG, shows the dedication he has towards this "hobby" of cabinet building. He claims that first and foremost he wants to help out the working bass player. Usually, I would think that was just a line, something one would say to get business. With Jorg... I believe it. Of course, he hopes to make money... (who among us wants to lose money)
    3)I can't forget to mention what a great guy Mark Wright is of AccuGroove www.AccuGroove.com Absolutely super cabinets, and an absolutely stand up, honest guy.

So.. I spent three hours tonight playing with my new Schroeder 1210. I set it on top of my El Whappo, and switched back and forth all night. As probably everyone will testify that has heard the Schroeder cab's.. they are crazy loud. To compare the Schroeder 1210 to an AccuGroove "El Whappo" is really not even a fair comparison. It's like... comparing oranges to Ribeyes.

I was using my Benavente Vortex (had to tweak the truss rod... the heat zapped it Saturday... but it's allbetter) into a Read "Purity" preamp with a Stewart 2.1 in Bridged mono. You won't believe it if I tell you... but it's the truth. The Schroeder takes just about all that 2.1 will give it. I can go up to 90% before it starts farting out. Absolutely amazing. And honestly... I don't want to be in the same room with it up that loud. It tore my head off!!!!

I started with the AccuGroove... I had the volumes up LOUD and the power way up (75%). This is enough to easily overpower a Peavey 5150 through a 2 4x12's. I ran through the paces all the way down to low B. Of course the El Whappo was clear, concise, and will actually make your heart skip a beat with thunderous low end that shakes and rattles every bone in your body. THEN.... I left all the volumes and every thing the same..... and switched to the Schroeder 1210.... There was a very small (5% or so) drop in volume. There was a considerable drop off in the "feel" of the bass. But come on... if I told you it was the same you'd know I was lying. The El Whappo has a 15, a 12, a 6 and two soft dome tweeters. With the 15 & 12 you should expect to feel it a lot more than through a Schroeder 1210. But the punch of the Schroeder was sharper than the AccuGroove. The El Whappo also wins in the "clean" category. The El Whappo seems to offer a completely uncolored tone. What you put in, is what you get out. The Schroeder seemed a little darker.... And it was good!!!

Then my drummer buddy came over. I started with the Schroeder and he was amazed. No one can ever believe that much sound (not just sound.. but good sound) can come out of that little box. I switched it back to the El Whappo, and then back to the Schroeder. He confirmed what I heard as well. The El Whappo had a fuller tone. But the Schroeder was a little darker. He started getting after it on his custom DW kit..... the Schroeder cut through better than the El Whappo.

The El Whappo is a better overall cabinet than the Schroeder 1210..... of course. It's not a fair comparison. I'd love to see what happens when you put a Schroder 21012 under the 1210... and then compare it to the El Whappo. ????

The Schroeder is the 2nd best cabinet I've ever heard. And at 1/3 the size, and weight... it's my new favorite cabinet. I just wonder if the 21012 under it would cause the heart skipping, bowel moving lows that the AccuGroove does. ???

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7374

Pic of the Schroder on top of the El Whappo!!

Thanks again to everyone for a great weekend down in the DFW area!!

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    nice review and good info. Thanks!

3. Schroeder 1210 + Bag End 15 vs. El Whappo

There's your fair comparison. I wonder who would win that battle.... hmmmm.....

EDIT: Also, the Schroeder fits perfectly on top of the El Whappo, and they match so well together. Did you try both together yet? That would be deafening...

BTW, the Bag End S15B-D should fill in the "heart skipping, bowel moving lows" you speak off. I'd like to think that the 1210 and S15B-D would make a very nice sounding pair. We'll see about that...

Sean

4. I hear 2 1210s or 1 1210 and 1 1212 are pretty punishing combinations...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nicely done Henry! Glad you liked the 1210! I found it a perfect match to my Benavente :bassist:

6. OH YEAH!!!!! :hyper: :D

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    It's official - I need to stop frequenting Talkbass. Oh, I want to buy those cabs!! Dang it. :D

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Jorg seems to be a great man, I've agreed with him to go with a 1210 next month!! Can't wait!

9. I don't think it's humanly possible for you to be disappointed when you hear it. As everyone says... the amount of sound out of a little box.... it's just amazing. But the good part, is it's not just a lot of sound.... it's a lot of your tone..... good crisp,clean tone. Not muddy... it awesome.. and you will love it!!!

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Amen, Bro!

I second that emotion.

They seem to have a bit of a warmish edginess to them, but still articulate.

I still haven't heard any of the Accugrooves, but I'm really digging my 410 Schroeder and enjoying it more everytime I play through it. Very solid, powerful low end and hard-hitting punchiness, great midrange and smooth treble -- a very balanced sound.
    At $799, I can't imagine anything coming close to it for the money. [I guess the prices are supposed to be going up -- though I've heard not by alot.]

I also can't imagine needing more volume and tone than I get out of it.

11. Hey lo-freq,

I don't know if you or anyone compared your 410 to the 21012 Jorg brought.
    Did you? you're 410 sounded great, but I was wondering how they compare. I would think the 21012 might have a little deeper low end.

12. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

i played them both at different times.jorg came by my house the day before the dfw gathering with the 21012 as well as a 1212.i had already played the 410-though i didnt play them side by side.i believe you are right.the 21012 did have a deeper natural low end and i hear slappers are lovin this one.the 410 was tighter and quicker(and maybe louder)they both sound great to me but are very different.of the two though i prefer the 410.i loved the quickness and you can dial in plenty of low end.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, the 21012 has a deeper sound, seems to have a more powerful sounding low-end, but the 410 seems to have better articulation and punch from the mid-bass down.
    Both handle low 'B' just fine IMO.

14. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    One thing I've noticed with my 21012 is that the character of the cab changes dramatically depending where you point the angled speaker. For massive lows the 12 toward the ground will do the trick, but if you need a cleaner more articulate sound the exact opposite configuration would obviously be used.

15. So, can you use the 410 or 21012 in smaller venues when you're right up close to the cab? From what I read the "bigger" cabs are to much from small up close gigs but shine on the big or outside venues. I've got the Berg NV610 for this purpose and it's whoopin' big time, but I noticed it loses volumn/throw 12-15 ft. out. This happened to me Sunday at an outside gig. The drummer and myself were up on a riser on top of the 4ft stage in the back and the rest of the band (horns, guitar, key) were in front about 10-12 ft and 24" lower. They said they could here me just "OK", but couldn't feel it much. I went down on a couple tunes to jam out with the guys and noticed this right away. Mind you, it still sounded wonderful but lost a lot of the bootay. Of couse there was massive PA support for the FOH and the audience didn't know any of this. Just curious.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have been in the less is better mode for some time now. My back isn't what it never was anyway!!! I'm always looking to get away with less stress and strain on my aging body, but I just can't get myself to not have as good a stage tone and enough volume to be able to not have to use the PA for support unless absolutely necessary.

Tone and volume vs weight, size, AND price....don't forget value/price....the Schroeder on top of that Whappo which is what...about $400-500+ more than the little Schroeder, yet only about 10% more "booty" but less punch. So get two of 'em for maybe just a little more money, or 2 or the 210's for a little less weight, and then compare.

My two Low Down Sound 2x8 cabinets sound great, are tiny, with a combined weight of 60 pounds, for under $650 TOTAL SHIPPED and everything.....the more volume, the better they sound.....are what make sense to me. Neo speakers available by many cab builders or not, smaller and lighter cabinets, whether perfectly flat or slightly scooped/darker are the state of the art right now. Jorg seems to have taken the next step which is ONE smaller cabinet for most all of your needs.

If my financials ever get straightened out, I'll be the first in line to buy a 1210 or 1010 Schroeder and if it's tone and volume are even close to the 2 208's together, they'll be history.

LKaye

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Big, I think the 410 sounds good at any volume.

For smaller, quieter gigs you can just turn the cab on its side so the angled baffle is angled up. No problem with hearing yourself at all (everyone else will too -- as much as you want). Possible minor EQ'ing might be needed, but I doubt it.

18. Did you try a 1210?
    Did you happen to try two of them?
    If so how did it compare to your 410?
    I saw the huge thread on Schroeder Cabs but did not have time to really read much of it..

If I did any kind of trial I think I would like to audtion the 1210 or 410.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer 12" too.... My 1210 sounds killer with my 70's Sunn Sceptre (2x 6550 power tubes) But really comes alive with my Crown CE1000 bridged. It sounded pretty alright pushed with my 200watt (at 4 ohm) Ashdown Mag too.

I think I read your first post to mean, you're happy with the NV610 for big outdoor stuff, but want something to sound fuller for smaller/closer things ???

if so, yeah the 1210 would fit your need.

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I have 2 1210s on the way right now, so we'll see about that :hyper: Personally, I have very little experience with other bass cabs, so it'll be hard for me to give a proper analysis. As long as I can get Acme-like lows at a decent volume, I'll be happy. I love my Low B-2, but it's just not loud enough no matter what I do :(