Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B2 - "optimum" distance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pogipoints, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I used my Acme B2 for the first time last night at a smallish basement studio, and I was staying within 2-3 feet and a little to the side of the cab. I set it up vertically on the floor. I didn't feel the "amazing" low end of the B2, thought it was kinda thin. When I asked the other people there what they though about the sound, they said it sounded good, big, not terribly loud (obviously, it's an Acme)

So my conclusion was that I need to stay farther away and in front of the cab. My question is: How far in front of the cab should I stand to hear the "real" sound of the B2? Should I get it off the floor and closer to ear level?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything on this, I apologize if this has been asked before.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Standing close to a speaker in a small room you'll usually find it very thin. Reserve judgement until you try it in a larger space.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bill said it. could be from where your standing.

but, also what was your EQ setup like?

and how long have you had it? tho i'm in the minority here, IMHO, all speakers need time to ease and break in their surrounds. once they do, your speaker will sound to its fullest potential.

besides, what happened to you is exactly what happened to me w/ my Epifani UL310. thought it sounded really thin and lacking in the low end. kept on cranking the bass knob on my amp. then after a few weeks of rehearsals/gigs and random shuffle from my iPod, BLAM-O, instant mix bass sweetness.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, I use the B-4 and it essentially blasts into my calves (I'm 6'4"). Sounds completely different and fuller in the audience, trust me.

If you want to really fill out the stage volume, back that thing to within 2' of a wall. The rear facing ports really move some air...but not always for the better.

Riis

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooo,

zoo, i dunno if that's a good idea. Andy recommends at least 6" to a foot in space for the rear ports. if not, you end up making the drivers work harder than they should.

6. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    My eq is basically flat, boosting the highs a little to make up for dead strings. I'm using an Ampeg SVP-Pro pre, none of the buttons pushed in (ultra low, etc)

I haven't had the cab long, but I bought it second hand. I've also read about "breaking in" the speakers, but I'm assuming the previous owner has used it enough to have broken it in.

I'll try standing in a different position next time I use it. (On my head perhaps? :D )

7. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    That I will... thanks...

8. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Speaking of breaking in the surrounds, is it normal for the woofers on the Acme to move that much i.e. +- 1/4" or thereabouts when hitting notes on the B string?

They were not at ToF yet though.

Thanks for all your replies, and keep 'em coming please.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...
    how much power you running thru it?

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Are you boosting some very low frequencies?

Extreme smiley face curves can do that alot.

My old SM-400 was real bad for that.

:D

Joe.

11. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Lowtonejoe,

I was running my eq flat on the preamp, and on the bass, boosting the highs just a little (strings were old)

Joker,

I'm running a Stewart 2.1 bridged @ 8ohms, input gain between 11:00 - 12:00. I was hitting the 3dB clip light a few times, but the amp was not clipping.

Does "long-throw woofer" mean long excursion, or does it "throw" the sound out farther? :)

And about how much total playing time does it take on average before the surrounds loosen up?

12. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    It refers to the length of excursion, and the Acme woofers have a very long excursion by comparison with most of the competition. This measurement is called "X-max" in the specifications for a speaker. (Long excursions require big power, which is all part of the well-known inefficiency of Acme cabs).

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, I know. That's why I specified 2'. I think 6" to 12" is way too close. I wasn't really concerned about the drivers (although I should be) but rather the unpleasant sonic swell that sometimes engulfs the stage.

We played the Byrd Theater (Richmond) which has a very shallow yet wide stage. As a result, my rig was placed no more than 2' from the rear brick wall. Our guitarist on the other side of the stage asked me to turn down even though my RBI was set @ only 9:00. The Byrd is one of the original old time movie houses and was an acoustics nightmare!

Thanks

Riis

14. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks jetsetvet. So I guess this means that the extreme cone movement I described is normal for Acmes? I'll just have to get used to not watching the woofer every time I hit a low note :D

15. This is normal for the Acme's.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oops,

thought i saw an extra ' denoting inches rather than the 2 feet you were referring to.
    :rollno:

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    BUT,

if you hear a fluttering sound, pushing the speaker into overdrive mode, thats not a good thing, and all the more reason the Acmes might not be the right cab for your app.

18. Interesting on the placement with rear port comment. Andy says as long as you don't put them right against the wall and 'close the port', it shouldn't matter at all. However, IME, those Bag End and Acme's (especially the smaller Bag's) with the rear ports sure seemed to be more susceptible to placement than other cabs. I especially noticed it playing outside with nothing behind you... the bottom seemed to drop out much more than other cabs with front placement. However, other's disagree, so maybe what I was hearing for all those years was due to something else!

19. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks, I'll watch out for that. But so far, I haven't pushed it to that point.

I'm considering stacking another B2 for louder gigs, but I'll try out everyone's suggestions first.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

i dunno wassup w/ me, but i've been telling people to say "no" to some really awesome pieces of gear. but when something isnt working out for you no matter, reality will bite you at your next gig. :meh: