Acme VS. EA VS. Bose

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Which is best? I have a 3/4 and use a K&K bassmax. I am trying to get an acoustic image head but am using a SWR and eden right now. I am contemplating on getting either a Acme 1-10, an EA VL 1-10, or a Bose 802? WHat do you guys think produces the cleanist natural sound?
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    The most natural sound I've ever gotten live is with the Bose, but not the 802; it's the L1/B1 system. I've discussed it here in some other threads. Seems like I might be one of the few guys here using it on a regular basis.
  3. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    thats to much$ for me right now.
  4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    those are all ok, have you thought about a 12 or 2x10? you might be happier
  5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well I have a Bag End s-15XD and a S-15D sounds OK? I also have a SWR workingmans 1-10 combo and a Extension cab 1-10 with it?
  6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have both the Acme B-1 and the EA VL110. I prefer the B-1 for upright and together with either a Walter Woods Ultra or an AI Focus (that just replaced a Clarus), it is my standard rig for upright where I need some volume. I also have a Contra that I use for low volume gigs.

Assuming you are going to use the SWR or Eden heads, I trust that you are running through some sort of pre-amp/impedance matching device. I don't think you'll get much of a sound without it. You don't need one for the WW or AI gear however.

I'm going to be selling both the VL110, the generation 1 Contra and a Bergantino HT112 in the next couple of weeks, probably on eBay.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I'm interested in both your VL-110 and the Berg! PM me with details. Thanks
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried the Low B-1, but I own a Low B-2 and at least one of each of the older EA VL-series cabs. Personally, I'd recommend a VL-208, but they are hard to find. I don't know if the Low B-1 is a totally different animal from the Low B-2, but I find the VL-series cabs, in general, to be more natural sounding to my ears than the Low B series cabs. So, to your direct question, I would recommend the VL-110, although many players have had good luck with the Low B-1. I have not heard the Bose.

In addition to the VL-110 and VL-208, other smaller cabs that I have tried which work well on upright would include the EA Wizzy, VL-108, Hevos Midget, Raezer's Edge Bass 10 and Epifani T-110UL. Each have their own sound, of course, but should certainly fall within a workable range.

FWIW, I will likely be selling my Low B-2 (4 ohm) and my Raezer's Edge Bass 10.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think the EA VL208 is the "Holy Grail" of DB cabinets. I've never heard anything to touch them for uncolored sound, and they speak more quickly than anything I've ever heard. They are, as Tom mentions, hard as hell to find, but once you find one, you're set.
  10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    The best I think is Glockenklang Acoustic Art Cabinets, very accurate and transparent. I have Acme , etc but can compare with this Glock. I run it with AI Focus or any amp , it 's just sound soo good.
  11. +1! I have 2 Acoustic Arts (the Mk. 1, which is no longer made) and they are really amazing. Studio speakers in a roadworthy package (they cost at least as much as good studio speakers, too...).

12. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Hi Vunz , I did not take your advise to buy Bass Art instead I bought the Acoustic Art and never regretted. With this Cab and Focus 2 R I can play , acoustic bass, Electric bass, Acoustic guitar and even sing with it. Such an amazing Cab. I am taking a Bass Art to compliment this little Cab.
    I think Glock makes the best Bass gear ever, and the other one is Wayne Jones. After having those Cabs other makers just sound bad.