1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic 408 measurements? Copy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by os101king, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ok, I had found a thread with some specs in it but no matter how long I search I can't find it again!!!! I know MONOLITH is essentially out, I would have bought one of their copies if not for their rep at this point so I'm searching for any thread or member who might be able to help me put one of these together. Original specs are important but not a must, I'm thinking of Delta Lite II's for the cabinet since I'm not an avid bodybuilder and I'm also not rich. So for $170 and weighing 6 lbs each I think they'd work. Anyway, I'm babbling at this point. Can someone either point me in the right direction or give me some info?

Grassy-Ass.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you can't put the right speakers in, then not really much point in making the weird format cab to go with them. Especially since it is fundamentally a really heavy build, and bit unnecessary since two of the deltalites can probably move more air than the 4 original speakers. If its just the style you are after a redesign to look like it but be lighter and work with available speakers is probably the way to go.

3. Okay, I remember the cabs. They are big and loud with tons of bottom. Also a hernia pig. With modern drivers you can get a 2-15 cab that will weigh in at easily 100 less pounds and blow it off the stage. Have you heard a 408 live and in person? No question as to visual cool factor. Big questions as to living with one.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
  5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

I have a 408. it might take me a while, but I should be able to get some measurements off it eventually. It is not the heaviest piece of equipment I own, and with wheels on it, I don't think it is particularly difficult to move, load, or get on stage and off stage. I don't have any plans to replace it with anything more modern.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Need Pics!!!! :hyper:

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have an original Acoustic product brochure with the 408 dimensions in it. PM me your email address and I'll send you a pdf of it.

TD

8. From the thread linked to previously :

DSC02762.

9. As a unabashed noob, I forgot to "subscribe" so I didn't see any of this.

*facepalm*

So the responses have lead me to a couple conclusions. First off, I don't really need to copy the 408. More than that, I think copying the 408 is a mistake because I definitely DO want to run 4 15"'s but the deltalite's will push so much more air than the early speakers as to nullify the design of the 408. So I'm pushing into new (new to ME) territory here. Any suggestions? Should I start a new thread?

Here's what I want, really. 4 15's. A cabinet height under 54". A slant-back handle cabinet with wheels like an ampeg and a width under 30". Depth is unimportant. I guess I have some mechanical drawing to do, huh?

10. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    ive got two of them loaded with Legend CB15s. trust me, nobody is blowing away a 1200 watt 415 cab despite what some sine graph shows you.

to the OP, id just find an old one and respeaker it with better drivers. the originals were 75 watts a piece for a total of 300 watts at 2ohms. mine are loaded with 300 watt drivers for a 1200 watt total, but theyre wired for 8 ohms as i run both of them with my SVT at 4ohms. the CB15s were the same speakers wade used for his reissues before he started stealing everyones money and being a nut.

11. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    as for pics, heres them in a backline, and them standing alone.

image_zpsd52e4d12.

12. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD
    Did someone say 408?

As Beebass said your best bet is to find a used one and respeaker it. I also dropped the legend CB15s in it and it sounds awesome.

13. OldCrow

OldCrow

Jul 17, 2012
    Whiskey, MD