1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic amps help/how to

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xdefineperfectx, Mar 5, 2010.

1. xdefineperfectx

xdefineperfectx

Mar 4, 2010
    Hi first of all im new to the site and fairly new to bass playing in general, i was a gui**** for 10 years but the band needed a bass player so i picked up and didnt struggle tremendously with anything they were playing.

i bought the acoustic b200h head and the b115 amp, i like it the price was right and it has enough balls for smaller shows.

however i seem to have the eq set the way i like it but theres a few knobs ive never encountered with any of my guitar amps.

the first is an up/down switch in the back labeled "Ground Lift"

and the second is a dial in the third spot over labeled "Frequency" ive taken it to both extremes and it doesnt seem to have a part in the tone.

id appreciate anyone that could help without calling me a dufus/noob.

ive literally learned 26 songs in 3 weeks im not terrible just technologically challenged.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Google is your friend.... http://www.acousticamplification.com/pdf/control_B200H.pdf

RTFM!

The "frequency" knob is actually the "Frequency Notch" knob. It's a moving notch filter that cuts a relatively narrow band of frequencies by 10dB. What exact frequencies are being cut is determined by where the knob is. It should be a subtle but noticeable change.

The ground lift breaks the ground at the DI. If you use the DI on the back of the amp to get into the PA, and you have too much noise due to a ground loop, the ground lift might alleviate the problem.

Th

http://www.acousticamplification.com/pdf/control_B200H.pdf

3. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Ground lift is a polarity reverse switch that takes the buzz out of your amp or the DI signal. Stick your ear by the speaker and reverse the switch -- see if one position is quieter, then leave it in the quieter position.

The frequency knob is a notch filter that tailors your mid frequencies. Try boosting and cutting the mids knobs with this switch in different settings while playing -- you should hear something change. Mids are pretty important in getting punch from a bass and can help you cut through a mix or overcome bad acoustics in a room.
    Here's what he manualsays about the notch filter: " Active -10 dB notch at frequencies from 50Hz to 1kHz – approximately 250Hz with the frequency knob
    at 12 o’clock."

If you didn't get a manual, you can download it here: http://www.acousticamplification.com/pdf/manual_B200_200H_410_115_600H_810.pdf

4. xdefineperfectx

xdefineperfectx

Mar 4, 2010
    Active -10 dB notch at frequencies from 50Hz to 1kHz – approximately 250Hz with the frequency knob
    at 12 o’clock."

can you break that down to laymans for me, I'm sorry, i prob dont deserve this amp.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It CUTS frequencies by 10 dB. Which ones are getting cut depends on where the knob is. Think of a graphic EQ, like the little Boss stomp box one. If you slide ONE fader down almost all the way, it's cutting that band. This knob does that, except instead of only having six places to cut, it lets you choose anywhere from 50Hz (about the open A string on your bass) to 1K (harmonics that give things character- despite the dolts who assert "I play bass, not treble", bass players need to have highs because that's what makes MY Precision sound like MY P bass instead of someone else's.

John

6. xdefineperfectx

xdefineperfectx

Mar 4, 2010
    so in an earlier spot its going to restrict the tone like E or A would make?

and i want to make sure on a song like have you ever seen the rain i want to keep it at an earlier spot to make sure the chorus on D and G is clear?

am i in the ball park?

7. xdefineperfectx

xdefineperfectx

Mar 4, 2010
    I should have saved more for the orange head, lol. There is less knobs to understand, lol

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020