Acoustic Bass Dilemma ! Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michelin97Bass, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Hello all!
    I am in the market for a fretless acoustic bass. I have read heaps of reviews and am really into two particular basses, a new Dean EAB Fretless, or a Michael Kelly Dragonfly Fretless. I play jazz, funk, classical, r and b, blues, everything really! So what I need your help with is to give me your opinions in these two basses, which is better and you prefer. I will be stringing with flats or nylon tapes by the way.
    Your help is so appreciated!

2. AuBassMan

AuBassMan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Central Virginia
    I wouldn't buy Michael Kelly anything. I was looking at one in a music store and the strings were not evenly spaced. The store owner tried to tell me it was an optical illusion! Then a band I was in was going to do some unplugged kind of gigs so I ordered a dragonfly 5 string from Musicians Friend. On this one it looked like the bridge was mounted wrong...it was pretty much unplayable, the g string was almost off the fretboard. Bad QC IMO. I took a pic and sent it back. IMG_0817.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. I should point out that the Michael Kelly will he bought used, and the previous owner says it's in good nick... So does that change things?

4. AuBassMan

AuBassMan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Central Virginia
    I never got to the point of actually playing one lol! So I can't help you there. I did like the look of it. In my pic you can't see the wood grain...it was really nice....I guess if you play it and it all checks out...and the price is right...it might be ok?

5. Alright, thanks for your help.
    They are very beautiful basses IMO!!!!

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Since you'll be plugging in, go with the better electronics, which is probably the MK.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021