1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Basses - How does shape affect tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Techmonkey, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well following the unbelievable success of the double bass I built last Friday we've actually sat down and drawn up proper plans for a proper beast of a double bass that'll look, sound, and play much better. We finished the neck today, and instead of just a plank of plywood we've actually got some Spruce and carved it to a proper bass guitar neck shape - almost perfect, except perhaps a little flat but no worries.

Anywho! The one thing I don't get is how does the shape of an acoustic bass affect the tone? We want to keep it metal because of the nice tone, but if I wanted a louder sound would increasing the radius of the circular body increase this? Or perhaps the depth? Does it matter if the shape is a cylinder? Why are acoustic basses shaped differently? (with "curves"?) Wouldn't it be easier for them to just be circles? And where exactly should our soundhole(s) be??

Thanks in advance...
    Tech:bassist: