Acoustic Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEnd Theory, Jun 2, 2005.

1. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    sup fellas.....and fellets

anyone have any reccommendations or tips as far as buying an acoustic bass.... im looking for a "jazzier" sounding one if possible....

Keep it on the low end....
  2. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    jeez, no wonder you asked for a price range.... well, i was thinkin somewhere between 300 to 500 actually.... but if its really worth it i could spring a bit more.... its really just for practice purposes, at least for now.... something a bit easier to lug around anywhere....
    Thanks for the advice....

3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    well this thread here:
    recomends the dean performer. you two posted about the same time, wanna bump his thread since it's already got info, and you're probably looking in the same price range?
  4. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    good idea, just caught it.... thanx

5. I've got an Ibanez AEB10 on the way I'll post some comments after I've plyed it a bit.
  6. craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    I just purchased a Honer EAB 65. $399.00 with nice hard shell case. Sounds better than fender and run a close to Martin. Better than Martin for the price. I promise you will like it.
  7. Borrocop

Jun 2, 2005
    I am verry interessed in an Ibanez AEB10E, can you already give some comments on it?
  8. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Would you guys say Michael kelly acoustic basses are worth getting?
  9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I had a mk acoustic fretless, and didn't dig it: good build, fit, and finish, and projected very well. acoustically, it was very nice, but the electronics were awful, and way to brite no matter how i manipulated the controls or turned down/off the treble on my amp. tried it through a couple different cabs, nothing. sold it to a guy here on tb from richmond, va.

i wish i had kept up w/ this one here:
  10. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    hey say i got a acoustic fretless bass would i have to get special strings just for a acoustic fretless bass,or just regular acoustic bass strings? or would that not matter if its not electric?
  11. You'd most likely want to get flatwounds, or better yet tapewounds. Not neccessary, but nice to have. I heartily recommend TI Jazz Flats or Labella Tape Wounds.
  12. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    no no no, what i mean is, you know how on electric fretless basses you need special fretless strings? on actoustic fretless basses do you need special strings?
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eyebrow: special strings???

you mean for 25 years I've been using the wrong ones!!! :eek:

(seriously, no such thing as "special fretless strings")
  14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    If you are going to buy a ABG either go big or go small. The really good sounding ABG's are going to cost you more than a grand but the really good sounding "budget" ABG's are really good for the money

If you want the expensive ABG's I would recommend
    1. Taylor
    2. Martin
    3. Larrivee

But for $300-600 you can get one of these and they are really good for the money

1. Michael Kelly
    2. Dean
    3. Tacoma

As far as strings go flatwounds sound really good especially with a fretless but I myself am partial to Elixers :)
    4. Fender
  15. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    o well once i picked up a fretless fender and it had odd strings on it so i assumed they were some kind of fretless string or sumthing lol.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    strings come, flat, ground, pressure, round... in Stainless Steel, Nickel, Phosphorus, plastic tape.... can be coated or not...

Typically, most fretless players use whatever makes the sound and the feel they dig.

I'm using nickel Ground wounds on the tracks I sent you. They are a round wound that has been ground to be like a flat.

I am having a new bass built that will wear stainless rounds.

Phosphorus strings are usually on acoustic bass guitars.
  17. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

In this list you MUST add the Takamine B10. I've praised it in a few threads on this subject - a quick search for "Takamine B10" will find those posts. Sound samples on

Another one for the expensive ABG list is the Azola Deco.
  18. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I bought a Hohner a couple of years ago, used off the 'bay. My band is electric, but the two guitarists and I (all singers) also do a few semi-acoustic gigs a year, all in three-part harmony.

Anyway, for some unknown reason, the strings got to where they had different volumes. I could barely pluck the E string, then really had to dig in on the A string to try to get the same volumes across the neck. Fortunately, someone told me how to repair it myself by removing the pup and "repairing" the material underneath that had shifted and left the pup at an odd angle rather than strait across. He was exactly right in his diagnosis. I have had no problems since then. I paid about $230 including shipping (used).

Oh, and the "correct" strings? Mine are always out of tune and sometimes play the wrong notes. I will be more careful in the future when buying strings. :D Seriously, I put a set of flats on it, and replaced them with rounds when I changed strings. IMHO, flats did not sound right with the acoustic.