Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Contra... which series..

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kas_lar, Feb 1, 2006.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Guys..

I know there's a lot of threads about this mighty fine amp.... The thing is that I've been offered to buy this amp, but I'm beginning to understand that there's different models of the Contra...
    Please look at the pic - Which model is this?

I'm also play Electric bass, and I want to know if it's possible to remove the amp section of the cab... So I might use it with cabs more suited for electric bass... such as GK Neo112 or a regular 4x10".....

Thanks for a lot of great bass talk...

Attached Files:

2. 16fuss

16fuss

Apr 25, 2005
    it is a serie two.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Series II. IMO, you should go for it. I got one of these from TBeers not too long ago and it's a great buy (I also use it with electric as well.)

4. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanx guys... Quick as always.... I'll think it over, havn't got the money, but will consider to smash the bank.... ;-)

5. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Aren't you supposed to be able to disconnect the speaker cable on this combo and let the amp play through a separate cab?

6. Yes and add extension an cab. I have one and think it is a true marvel. Exceptional fidelity and a very flat response. However, it seems that many people on this board play gigs where they need more volume but I've had no trouble including a 30 odd piece big band. YMMV etc.

The amp section is a discrete section which for some unaccountable reason, AI decided to bolt to the speaker in a way not intended to be detached. It can be done with no harm to either the speaker or the amp. You need to do a thread search to find the instructions with pictures somewhere on here.

I haven't done it but I have openned it up and had a peak. It's so well designed and put together that it can come apart and go back together without harm.

Playing a bg through it as it is is IMHO fine but revealing - a crummy bg will sound crummy and a good bg will sound good. It doesn't colour the sound at all. It's the only amp I know that produces good deep bass at low volume and only a bg really highlights this quality since the db doesn't have the exagerated lows of the bg unless you tweak the amp to do it.