1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Acoustic Image Ten2 with EX cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Sputter, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Been searching threads without much luck... Looking with for anyone with experience running an AI Ten2 with the AI Ten2 EX (extension cab). I'd like to hear about different ways people are achieving the best 'bubble' of sound as some call it, or as AI puts it, "holographic sound". Things such as settings, distance of cabs and positions, settings such as the downfiring of one cab vs tiltback of the other, etc.

Tips and strategies are greatly appreciated. I'm using Series 4 Ten2 and and EX with piezo pickup and troll mic in separate channel with double bass. Nice set-up, looking to optimize how I use it. Thanks.

Hoyt likes this.
  2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I currently have a Ten2 and for a short bit of time I also had the 2x10 extension AI cab as well. What I found was that while I could get more air moving on stage with the additional cab which meant I could run my overall volume on the amp a bit lower, the playing instances that justified having four 10s working together really called for a more "traditional" cab. If I needed to bring the extension cab, it wasn't to get a "my bass only louder" tone, because after a certain volume threshold (and it's not terribly high), that sound just doesn't work (for me). I want less of a transparent/3D/holographic tone, and I need something that has more punch behind it.

I've always seen amplifying upright bass as a law of diminishing return between tone and volume, and I'm fine with that. I just go for the best amplified tone possible rather than trying to railroad the acoustic sound of my instrument into the mix at all costs.

3. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    This makes sense, Pat, thanks!

I'm also not going for volume. For volume, I'm considering going with a Fearless 112 or MAS cab, or something else. (But I really rarely an going for additional volume in my gypsy jazz/swing gigs. And I really get plenty of volume with the Ten2 for this.)

I also going for tone (and pretty sold on the Ten2 for that). But I am also going for 'tone shape'. How the tone sounds and how it wraps with the other acoustic instruments over our stage footprint. The additional Ten2 EX cab helps me have a larger footprint on stage. I find the down firing of the Ten2 really gives a bubble of sound around me on stage, not just beyond the stage where many traditional bass frequencies tend to focus. With the additional EX, I'm finding I can widen that bubble to include all the players, and I'm just curious if this might create phasing issues, if there is more merit to having them closer and in what positions, etc.

So maybe I'm curious how others use their extension cabs, regardless of brand.

4. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    The last paragraph is my mantra too!

I've always seen amplifying upright bass as a law of diminishing return between tone and volume, and I'm fine with that. I just go for the best amplified tone possible rather than trying to railroad the acoustic sound of my instrument into the mix at all costs.

Thanks for putting it out there!

Sputter likes this.
  5. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    BTW: I have an older Coda R. (at least 10 years old) and 2013 Ten2.
    Love them both. Ironically, I like the tone out of the Coda better than the big boy.
    Sputter, I'll keep you in mind just in case I sell the Ten2.

Sputter likes this.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have a Coda and a Ten2 extension. I only use both when on very large stages and/or I need way more stage volume. Which means I don't often use both, usually only outdoors.

When I do, I one on each side of the stage with the drums in the middle, same as with traditional cabs. That actually puts the louder of the two cabs on the far side of the stage but that's OK with me. The drummer gets to hear more bass than anyone else because they are between the two cabs and it takes care of most bandmate requests to turn up (I never get asked to turn down :whistle: ).

Sputter likes this.
  7. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks, Brian. That's the info I'm looking for. Where to place extension cabs for all concerned within the band.

I'm not after more volume. Just looking to spread the tone from my rig for those situations where the band is spread out wide (when not running bass through PA).

8. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Absolutely, thanks Rocco! I've heard others who swear by the Coda also. I believe the speakers are made of a different material?

9. statsc

statsc

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I stack them one on top of the other, with the extension cabinet on the bottom. This creates a nice, big, fat bubble of sound around me, and feels great to play in. Not sure about how this spreads the sound, but nobody complains that they can't hear me!

Sputter likes this.
  10. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks. A big fat bubble is a very good thing. I love the way an AI's tone blossoms and surrounds.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021