Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Volume

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 13, 2004.

1. I am getting an Acoustic Image Clarus head , and an avatar compact 112. I can get it in 2 , 4 , or 8 ohms & AIs run 300 watts at 2 , 200 at 4 ohms , 100 at 8 ohms. I will be doing mostly small gigs , with upright and electric , with a tech 21 bass DI. Any opinions. I need an ohmage for the cab. it can handle 350 watts. How many watts would i need?

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I doubt you can get that cab in 2-ohms. I've never heard of a 2-ohm cab, as many power amps couldn't push that kind of current.

I'd certainly go with the 4-ohm over the 8, given the head you're using. If you needed to get louder you could go to 2 4-ohm c112's, or add a 2x10

3. My bad i checked that... 4 or 8 ohms.....my bad

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I would select the 4 ohm model so you get 200 watts from the Clarus; no point in only getting 120w from the 8 ohm model. Since the Clarus allows loads down to 2 ohms you could still add another 4 or 8 ohm cabinet in the future, if required.

5. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Is the Clarus at 8 ohms a "loud" 120 watts? For instance I would say that my SWR Workingman's 2004 is a soft 120w and 8 ohms ( I'm not sure exactly what the wattage is its 200 at 4 ohms). I'm looking into one of these. But I might also just wait for the new 600w Focus head that should be coming out soon (knock on wood).

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    120 watts is 120 watts. If two amps rated at the same wattage produce different volume levels using the same speaker, all things being equal, one isn't actually the same wattage as the other and is lower or higher than 120 watts.