Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image with or without its preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by macmrkt, Feb 17, 2005.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm wondering if anyone has compared running their current AI heads as a power amp only? For example, using their DB pickup's preamp through the 'return', in comparison with running it through the regular (preamp) input? Now that AI released the Focus SA, I'm wondering if its worth a try since I have to use a preamp with my DB pickup anyway. Thanks!

2. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Cool, I didn't know the Acoustic Image SA was out yet. I do run different preamps to the effects return on my Clarus II. I really like my Solstice for mixing my Full Circle and Dyn-B. I also use my Fishman and Sans Amp pre amps in that way though it. It works great if you want a different sound for different gigs and don't want to carry a rack. Sometimes I run my Sadowsky straight to the effects return since it has a built in Pre. I think I know what my next amp purchase will be. :hyper:

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Clarus SA power amp will be available in another two weeks or so. The AI and my site are updated with details.

4. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Have you ever compared the outboard preamps you have running into the instrument inputs versus the returns?

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Update: Availability is quicker than expected, they'll be here early next week. Can't wait to plug one it, saw a prototype at NAMM last month.

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the update, Bob. I pre-ordered one from you last week. Can't wait!

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I did a quick test of the two today - a Clarus SL through the instrument input versus into the effects return. I used a carved DB with a K&K Bass Master Pro and its matching K&K Preamp. The cabinet was an Acme B1. All EQ settings were flat, or as much as I could make them. I listened as I played and had another musician listen about 10 feet away. It was clear to both of us that going through the instrument input was a better sound. When plugged to the effects return, the sound got thinner with less of the sound of the wood and a noticeably lacking midrange sound. I guess I'll be running a preamp into a preamp!
    MR

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    It depends on the Preamp you use. Some have a hot enough signal to be a real line driver into the poweramp and some don't. I'm not sure which category the K&K falls into. My Solstice and Sans Amp are able to put a fat, strong signal into the poweramp. My Fishman is a little weaker, so I would only use that as the only pre if it was a quiet gig and I wanted to just use the EQ section of the Fishman.

I use a pedal board when I tour. One side is for slab and the other is for upright. Both sides have a pre of some sort and a DI. They go to whatever Amp I am using at the time. So most of the time I am double "pre-ing" the signal on each instrument. It is a handy set up if there is rented backline that I don't like and I can bypass the pre section (if possible).

The signal is usually fatter if you use your pre into the Acoutic Image pre, but sometimes it is nice to have a less colored sound if your pre can handle it into the effects return.