Acoustic Insulation 'Soundproofing' in an existing structure?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by heat@500Hz, Feb 24, 2006.

1. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    Hi all...I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into acoustically insulating an existing room in a residential structure.

First...I have read the FAQ and found the Acoustic101 link a great resource. I am an architect by day (and night!) and I've worked previously in the construction industry so I have a decent understanding of my options for permanent modifications. I am interested in some less invasive methods of insulating one of the bedrooms in a house.

Just to throw out some ideas, which may or may not prove out, I'm considering furring the walls to achieve an acoustic 'sandwich' of insulation and gyp board. I'm also considering the idea of designing and building fabric covered panels which I would affix to the walls and ceiling that I could always remove more easily in the future. Either method would include 'plugs' for the windows.

Anyone have success in achieving a tight enough barrier (with less permanent modification) to prevent a drum kit and amplified bass from leaking enough to disturb neighbors?

My present mindset is that I will save the all-out acoustically separated studio for when I design a house to have built or make the decision for major renovation of this one, which is an older house.

Thanks for sharing any insight!
  2. Cheap and easy:

Army surplus wool blankets.

You would be amazed at how well these babies soak up sound. Not as great as Auralex, but much better than plain ol' dry wall.

Or, go to your local sporting goods store, and pick up a few foam camping pads. Usually pretty cheap, like $20 for something 2'x6'. Grab 5, it's $100, and you have enough to cover and entire wall in a bedroom.

Surplus mouse pads? Spot treatments!!:D

Rock on
  3. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    hey thanks eric

wool blankets do work well--when i was in college one of the jobs i had included access to the blankets stored for emergency shelter use, and i was able to fill my pickup full one day when they were discarding old ones--we used those with pretty decent results in a garage and then later on to deaden a room in a house

i'd go that route again, except that with this new house, whatever application i choose needs to be aesthetically pleasing, and i'd prefer to get some night tight lines on whatever i go with--stretching those blankets over a frame and draping material behind it is something that i thought of after your post, which might be an idea

i can definitely go that route in a pinch:)

ps--the mouse pad idea is pretty cool...if i could find a few cases in nice colors, i could get a nice composition going!