1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Action is TOO LOW

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mulepods, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I have a strange problem. My new Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass has very low action...so low that I get annoying fret buzz. I have raised the saddles VERY high, and the action is still too low. I checked the neck and it is 98% straight (very slight relief). Should I add more relief?

I have another Jazz that has the opposite problem. To get decent action I had to lower the saddles almost all the way down.

I did a visual comparison of these basses, and the neck appears to sit the same distance above the body.

Any help is appreciated...

2. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    The relief on the other bass (with higher action) has slightly more relief, but not much.

I thought the ideal neck is a totally straight neck?

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You may need to shim the neck depending on what frets the buzzing occurs... Ot there may be a shim in there already which could be messing with you.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree-it sounds like you have to shim the neck a bit at the end closest to the body. I'm assuming you've raised the bridge saddles nearly as far as they will go.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If your ideal is unplayable buzziness maybe. Based on your posts I would highly very highly recommend getting these basses set up by a competent professional. It is possible for you to cause irreperable damage to the neck if you don't know what you are doing. Believe me I know of what I speak.:crying: If you want to learn how all these adsjustments work by playing around with them, I recommend buying an SX or something like that.

6. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Gary Willis has a very nice bass setup instruction manual on his website, www.garywillis.com

Highly recommended for understanding some of these issues.

7. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    If he shims at the end closest to the body, he'll have to raise the bridge or the saddles even more. no shimms brohiem !

I'm with Philbiker, Get a competent pro. especially since it's obvious you aren't sure about what you're doing.... If you have never made any of these adjustments before, have it done right the first time , and then you can learn from it. Anybody you bring the bass to will be happy to explain a little something about what they need to do to get it right for you. Good luck...

8. It is on a Ric, but not many other basses specify "dead straight action"

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Rickenbacker basses apparently operate in a completely different physical universe than all other basses.