1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active bass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CharliePhillips, May 11, 2011.

1. CharliePhillips

CharliePhillips

Jun 27, 2009
    Bit of a dumb question to some, but here goes...

Can leaving the bass connected to the amp drain the battery even if the amp is switched off?

Charlie

2. Yes. As long as that jack is plugged into your bass, its draining the battery. I even had to learn the real hard way by frying the module in my Fender J cuz of exactly that. Had to have it replaced with a new module by Fender that is now protected from such stupidity. The battery will still drain, but I wont fry the module should I ever do that again. And I dont!

3. CharliePhillips

CharliePhillips

Jun 27, 2009
    Many thanks!

4. The presence of a mono connector in a TRS jack causes a short from ring to sleeve, which grounds the battery to complete the circuit. It doesn't matter what's on the other end of the cable.