Active Bass Sound sample

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    where can i find a sound sample of active bass guitar?
    i want to hear what the different between active and passive (except that the active electronics work on a battery)

and i know the best why to hear the different but i dont have a music store to hear active bass becuase where i live we dont have assortment of bass guitars especially active basses.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There three different ways a bass can be active: passive pickups with an active preamp, active pickups with no preamp, or active pickups with an active preamp.

I made a thread a little while ago to compare a Fender Marcus Miller jazz bass with the preamp on or off. This bass has passive pickups into an active preamp. You can listen to those clips to hear some of the difference.

Here's a link!

In the end, though, recordings can only clue you in so much, especially with all of the variables involved in the recording process.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Keep one thing in mind. There's a big difference between passive pickups, passive pups with active preamp, active pups with passive preamp, and both active pups with active preamp.

The most active bass I can think of is one with EMG pickups and an EMG preamp (as one of my basses has). It has a very different sound than other ones listed. I can record a soundclip if you'd like to hear a sample of my Schecter with EMG 35Js, but if that's not what you're looking for...