1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active neck-thru + B-15N stack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 7, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    got a couple terrific basses from a company in orlando called the guitar factory in the 90's. both have emg pj's and neck-thru-body. one's a 5 and one's a 4 with a whammy bar. didn't use them as much when i went back to fender in the early 2000's, and now i have a chronic shoulder problem and can't use them since they're not light. but since i only had to play 3-4 songs with the electric last night, i figured i'd trot out the 4. this was also the first time i used one of my vintage ampegs with it since getting them restored.

initially i thought it sounded way darker than the last time i used it. then i realized the tone knob was rolled off ;) once i fixed it, it was really bizarre. it was a LOT treblier set flat than i remember it. also, the slight midbass boost around 125 hz that i like with the b-15n set flat was a little more extreme than i liked, and i ended up having to cut the bass knob on the head.

other than that, i forgot how much i liked that bass. plays like a dream, every note is even and clear and hung for a long time, and it responds to overdrive in a positive way. everyone loved it and the soundman said it's his favorite of all my basses.

unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the positives for me. even though i only used it on a handful of tunes, we ended up doing a 2 hour soundcheck and i had it on most of the time, and my shoulder's killing me today. also, i don't think i like even and clear anymore. i like the note to punch you in the gut, hang on a second or two, and go away quickly. between the sustain and the evenness, i wasn't getting that punch like i do with the fenders.

i'll tell you though...that b-15n makes any bass sound magnificent, even active neck-thrus. i like it so much better than when i was using a hybrid and a 410. it tames down the modernness in a way that i really like. i think the next time i have a short gig like that one, i may trot it out once more so i can hear it with the svt again. i'm sticking with the fenders, but i do want to hear that bass with the svt.

ok, not much point to this post, but thought i'd throw it out there anyway ;) also, tried to find a pic, but i'm on the road and my laptop doesn't have one.

2. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    yeah i like a note with character too, something that can make a simple bassline in the right setting sound amazing.

3. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Which Ampeg tube amps would you recommend getting? I'd be pushing a 410/15 or 215 rig most likely. Never had an all tube amp. Curious. Thanks.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    svt of course! no big preference between the cl and vr, though i do think the vr sounds a little bit more open and bold. but it's not by much.

however, it's a waste of a good 115 to pair it up with a 410. the 410 is way louder and will go as low or lower than the 115. you're better off just getting an 810 or two 410's imho. or a 215...those are really cool.