Active Or Passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMan257, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Active

23 vote(s)
  2. Passive

50 vote(s)
  3. No Preferance

10 vote(s)
  1. Why or why not?

active dosent mean on board electronics... it means active pickups...
  2. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    IMO active electronics give you a much richer sound and a broader range of sounds to work with. Also, most active setups included an active/passive switch, so you can still get both.
  3. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    What he said:D
  4. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've been playing an active bass for a while now even though I usually prefer passive. I just think active gets a kind of hyped tone. I almost always use the active preamp to cut frequencies, rather than boosting.It's nice to have a bass cut now and then instead of just a treble roll-off. Active is quieter,usually

I hate fussing with batteries.
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Point of clarification: Are we talking specifically about active pickups (as stated in the title) or on-board active electronics in general?

Your question says "active or passive pickups?", which would be like saying "EMG's or Passive Pups". I don't like active pickups that much--at least the few brands that I've tried (Alembic, Peavey, and EMG). On-board preamps can be great, it just depends on what you're looking for from the bass.

Suggest you amend the post, or you'll get a lot of confused TB'ers asking this same question.
  6. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    learn to love both, cause they both offer great characteristics. not about what you play, but if you play :) right?

7. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm not a fan of active pickups. The only good active pickups I ever played were in a Pedulla. All the others I've played have been boomy and distorted. Active electronics are a mixed bag for me . . . I would definitely consider them more often if it were easier to change batteries (as in, have one of those pop-out cavities that active pickups have, but for the electronics instead). I'm just a passive pickup/passive electronics kind of guy.
  8. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    active pickups: HATE EM

active electronics: a nice touch, but not necessarily necessary, especially if you have a good amp. an active/passive switch is ALWAYS a great touch, due to the versatility and tone changes.

9. I meant it to be this.. pickups that require a battery for use.. kinda like the "active" emg's.. btw, there are passive emgs out there, and no harm meant if you allready knew...

adding a preamp is different... at least thats what I think.. it has to do with being able to add tone... which is the diffrence... the actives can add and subtract, while all the passives can do is subtract, and both can have great sound inspite of these characteristics...

at least thats what i recall reading, i may have interpreted it wrong, but i googled instead of posting another noob post...

btw, I was never expecting there to be this many votes in only four hours!
  10. I have both active and passive pickups in my basses, and passive pickups seem to be much clearer. i love my barts more than my emgs, but that isnt to say i dislike my emgs.

afa preamps, i doubt ill ever own a bass without an active preamp. i currently have mine set flat, but the options are there.
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Apples vs. Oranges

12. yes... but the real question is, how did you vote... lol

ps. has anyone tried the passive emg's i spoke of? i think there called HZ series... on a couple sites ive seen them on theyve been pretty cheap(120)...and if there nice, does anyone know of a relyable place where i can pick up a p/j combo of them?

thanks for the help if you can give it
  13. dont schecter silleto's come with those? er...some kind of schecter anyway
  14. Yes, i think... but those are soapbars... not the p/j set... from what i heard there pretty nice..
  15. Passive...Plain, Simple, and old school. Good for a vintage vibe. We have Bass Mid and Treble on our amps, so I dont see why we need it on the bass (I lied, sometimes I understand, if you need to switch from a good fingerstyle sound too a good slap sound, or if you want to make quick adjustments, but other than that you dont need it).

I am getting a G&L l-2500 so that I can pick and choose a bit more. I guess I am kinda cheating, but its like getting two basses in one package.

So all in all, passive...but if possible get an active/passive switch.

Wow did I just contradict myself.
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Passive. I just don't do a lot of EQ'ing. The batteries are an extra annoyance.

One benefit of active is that the capacitance of the signal cable becomes a non-issue.

crazybassist, how do you like your Backline head?