Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active/passive/series/parallel switch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wagner, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    hi,

is it possible to have one switch that does the following:
    pos 1: humbucker parallel / active
    pos 2: humbucker series /active
    pos 3: humbucker series / passive

i have a bass with two pickups but only one of its pickups should be switched fron series to parallel. in pos 3 this pu should be in series and the complete bass should run passive.
    the pickups are passive, the electronics are bartolini.

thanks,

ralf :help:

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most probably not. I can't think of a way to get either of the s/p or a/p functions to work correctly on a single on-on-on or on-off-on, so it probably ain't gonna work for both at once.

3. Its not really possible, but you have some other options you can use. what you want wont work because on an on/on/on switch with 12 pins (instead of just 6 like a push/pull has), you could get series/single/parallel using 6 of the pins, but you can really only get active or passive with an on/on/on so the middle position wouldnt work.... making your single coil pointless. you can get a 12 pin on/on switch and have passive/parallel when the switch is one way, and active/ series when the switch is the other way. another alternative would be to just get a 6 pin on/on/on switch, and get series/single/parallel on that and replace your volume pot with a push/pull to select active or passive....that would get you even more combinations and still keep it rather simple...OR you can replace another pot with a push/pull to select between series and parallel, and still have the push pull on the volume for passive/active. So, if any of those sound good to you, let me know and i can write you out a wiring diagram and tell you what you need to get for it.

4. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    hi,

thanks for your good ideas, i have been thinking about similar solutions but i don´t know if there are push/pull pots that are short enough to fit into the controls cavity of my gibson eb-3.
    those i found so far were way too long. this would be the best solution, because i won´t have to drill another hole in this old bass. do you know if there are pots that might fit?

thanks again,

ralf

5. How thick is your bass? i have a gibson sg guitar and i believe they are the same thickness, the EB-0's i have seen looked a little thicker, but then again i never actually busted out a ruler. I have 3 push/pull pots in my sg and an onboard preamp (the preamp is the only thing thats too big.) my sg is 1 3/8 " thick, the control cavity i believe is barely over an inch deep, and push/pulls fit perfect.

6. Wagner

Wagner

Feb 27, 2002
    Germany
    my bass is 1 2/8 thick. the cavity is a bit less than 1 inch deep. maybe its only hard to find the right pots here in germany. do you think yours would fit in my bass? where did you get them from and are they from a special manufacturer?

thanks,

ralf

7. my push/pulls are 1 1/16"....looks like its just barely too big for your bass. ive never seen anything that thin..... what i had to do in my sg to fit the preamp is raise the plastic control plate up by about 1/8", i cut off the corner of the control plate (needed to get the wires out to the battery anyway) and cut that piece into two and taped them on to the inside of the control plate on either side of the bottom middle screw (which was closest to the preamp). that solved my problem. you could countersink a tiny bit but that bass is so thin i would say dont do that.