1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active pickups with Rumbler 100?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ashley Locklear, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Ashley Locklear

Ashley Locklear

Nov 15, 2020
    I am fairly new to bass playing, better yet playing in general. I got a Fender Rumbler 100 couple months ago and used it with my beginners fender bass (passive pickups). Last week i bought an ESP B205 with SB-5 pickups. I plugged it into my rumbler 100 and the amp started smoking. Call tech support and they told me there is a switch to use that amp with active pickups. But dont see it. I have it on one of my older prometheus amps but not the rumbler.
    PLEASE HELP. Can i use the ESP B205 with my rumbler 100 amp?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    There are different versions of the Rumble 100.
    The older v1 and v2 did indeed have a switch to select between active and passive instruments, while v3 does not. Yours is a v3. I don't know why technical support didn't take this into account, but they didn't do right by you.

Smoke should never emanate from an amplifier, regardless what bass is plugged in. If you've only had it a few months, return it for replacement or repair. Don't think for a moment that your 5-string is to blame and don't let the service guys jerk you around.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. Ashley Locklear

Ashley Locklear

Nov 15, 2020
  5. Ashley Locklear

Ashley Locklear

Nov 15, 2020
    The amp worked fine though for several weeks with my older bass. I only had problems when i plug in the new ESP bass that i just purchased. It actually fried an older amp i have before i could unplug it.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If this has happened twice with the same bass, return the bass. It sounds like there's a short on its output.

7. Ashley Locklear

Ashley Locklear

Nov 15, 2020
    Ok. Thank you very much

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021