Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Pre-amp Settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Guys, I just recently got my second bass, a Ibanez SRX500. I was wondering if you knew any good settings to try out on the eq, its my first active and its quite hard to find something just right.

It has:

2 active humbuckers (neck + bridge)
    Volume
    Pickup Balance (Knob not a switch)
    Bass Boost/Cut Knob
    Treble Boost/Cut Knob

Fairly standard stuff?
    If you have something similar (2-band Stingray etc) please post your fave tone settings, thanks.

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Plain and simple, flat.

3. I ussually boost my bass and cut treble on my SR, and I think that would probably sound good for you since those two humbuckers are probably pretty hot.

4. Yamaha BB-G5A, twin 'buckers. I have mine pretty well flat, with a smidge of boost on both (little more on the bass) but I also boost the low mids and cut the high mids on the amp. I then sorta noodle around depending on what I'm playing and how I feel.

A lesson I learnt when doing a sound course, start off with the EQ flat, then cut whats 'bad', a bit of boost on whats good, leave the rest alone.

Josh D

5. That, with neck pickup soloed.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks, I got the bass boosted and the treble cut anyway, that way I can go to the neck pup for low rumbling and to the bridge to cut through the mix. I just wanted to know if there was anything special that I was missing.

Thanks
    Jack