1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Pre-amp Settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Guys, I just recently got my second bass, a Ibanez SRX500. I was wondering if you knew any good settings to try out on the eq, its my first active and its quite hard to find something just right.

It has:

2 active humbuckers (neck + bridge)
    Volume
    Pickup Balance (Knob not a switch)
    Bass Boost/Cut Knob
    Treble Boost/Cut Knob

Fairly standard stuff?
    If you have something similar (2-band Stingray etc) please post your fave tone settings, thanks.

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Plain and simple, flat.

3. I ussually boost my bass and cut treble on my SR, and I think that would probably sound good for you since those two humbuckers are probably pretty hot.

4. Yamaha BB-G5A, twin 'buckers. I have mine pretty well flat, with a smidge of boost on both (little more on the bass) but I also boost the low mids and cut the high mids on the amp. I then sorta noodle around depending on what I'm playing and how I feel.

A lesson I learnt when doing a sound course, start off with the EQ flat, then cut whats 'bad', a bit of boost on whats good, leave the rest alone.

Josh D

5. That, with neck pickup soloed.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks, I got the bass boosted and the treble cut anyway, that way I can go to the neck pup for low rumbling and to the bridge to cut through the mix. I just wanted to know if there was anything special that I was missing.

Thanks
    Jack