Adding a level control to an EHX bassballs. Doable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mcnach, May 10, 2012.

1. I love my EHX Bassballs.
    In fact, I just bought another. I had a nano version originally, and just bought the larger USA version which has been modified to give you access to the two internal trim pots with two externally mounted knobs. I love it. But I find it a bit frustrating that as you increase turn the main knob to the right, the volume increases, especially with the distortion switched on.

This pedal would improve a lot if there was a way to adjust the final level.

I can put it in a loop of a Boss LS2, which is what I normally do when I have a pedal that gives me trouble level-wise. But I was wondering whether it would be easy to add a level control. I haven't seen this modification described, so I suspect not, but... maybe I'm wrong!

2. +1 to loving the BassBalls! I have 2 on my board a stock NYC before the fuzz and a modded 3 knob NYC after the fuzz. There can certainly be an increase in volume when the sensitivity knob is above 11 ish, where mine are both usually set at.

Attached Files:

3. I always wanted to use the distortion on it by itself ! I wonder if there is a way to just distort the sound without going through the other filters.:meh:

4. Both of these are interesting ideas, i do like the unique fuzz on the BassBalls.

I also have a Rocktron Heart Attack pedal which is almost a hi fi version of the BassBalls.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'm sure you could add a passive volume pot if there's room. You wouldn't be able to boost, but you could turn it down.

6. Yes, that is an idea. But it will also remove treble as you turn down, won't it? I guess I would try the same "trick" used on passive guitar volumes to preserve treble... experimenting with different values until I get it just right.

As for the distortion alone. It's pretty unique... but I think alone it would suck (bass)balls ;-p

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I believe if you used a 500k pot versus a 250k the treble loss would be less obvious.

8. use a 100k, it's not a passive circuit..

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021