1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding jazz pickup to stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I am looking to add a jazz pickup on the neck position of my musicman stingray to give it a more versatile sound.

The MM PU is a basslines smb-4a, and I already have a neck J pickup form a G&L JB-2 jazz bass(they seem to be standard vintage alnico). Are they going to fit well together in terms of balance and sound?

As for the electronics, the preamp is stock (3 band), and I want to install a stack knob for either vol\vol or vol\pan in the place of the single volume. Am I going to encounter any major problems doing this.

Should I get another preamp altogether??

Is a passive switch going to work well with these 2 PUs if the battery goes dead?

(the preamp is from middle to late 90s stingray.)

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    IIRC, the pots are all soldered directly to a pcb, so changing them is a project. (i once modded a stingray with a push-pull volume for series/parallel of the pickup, and it was a bear to get it to fit.)

3. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    so adding a vol/vol knob would still be something possible?

4. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Can anyone else help me on this?

thanks,

5. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Anyone, ????
    any info regarding adding PU on a stingray is welcome.

thank you.

6. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Why add a pick-up when you could just buy a new bass :D

7. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    ok....no help there.....:rollno:

8. punkanidea

punkanidea

Jan 6, 2009
    i use stc 3m4 for my dual active soap bar pups. the forum said that the difference between the SD MM tone replacement circuit and the active tone circuit was only the wiring harness for controlling dual pups (you'll find that the input is only a single cable). i use vol/vol instead of using balance pot because i believe the balance pot will reduce the power of yor pups (because at center position, the pot is half opend). well, i find no problem until now. you may use balance pot but it's all according to the taste.

my friend ever made a jazz bass copy with humbucker pup in MM position and add jazz pup on the neck in JB position. it sounds great!! although he use for fretless bass, i can recommend u to add neck pup on JB position. you still can get MM's growly sound but with sweet biting high and beefy low.

would u like to try??