1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding placement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devilock76, Oct 18, 2013.

1. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Not really sure where to put this question. So if it needs to move let me know. So I have this:

http://www.numark.com/product/orbit

So if you had this and played Fender style basses, where on your bass or person would you mount it? For me it controls effect changes as well as synthesizers. Placing it on the lower horn can get in the way playing up the neck and hurts the visual lines of the bass. The upper horn works better but still not sure I like it.

Now I am not opposed to making a firm mounting bracket or new holes in the bass to firmly mount it. Yes I know it is crazy but I am so close to a dream I have had for years to be completely wireless in all ways and to be able to control all effect and synth work I need to do from anywhere, no need to be near a set of foot pedals. Nothing on the floor but my amp and my feet. It may not be the most practical thing in the world but the system works, so now I just have to figure where to mount this final piece of gear. One thing, it is a little heavier than it looks so on my arm or on the head stock is obviously not an option.

Last thing is I will probably need to be able to see it, so on my back on a belt clip or something is probably not an option either.

Need some help here guys and I could not thing ok a better knowledge base of bass and bass playing knowledge.

Ken

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Upper horn or on the strap near the upper horn.

3. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Upper horn will definitely require sometype of hardware add on to mount. But it still keeps coming back as the best option. I have some concerns about using the strap. I guess I need to figure out what type of hardware mounting will work. I want something that I can put on multiple basses and then pop it off with a slide or push to put on another bass.

I wonder if I could modify some type of strap lock system to work for this...

Ken

4. It looks pretty big. One picture shows 2 hands holding it.

If you wanted to mount this device, I'm thinking about department stores' videogame demo stations. You know the semi-flexible arm that holds the controllers? I think that would be the best device to somehow attach to the bass.

With this idea, I'd attach the flexible arm to the bottom half of the body and have the arm posed within a reasonable reach, without interfering with your plucking hand.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Seems to me like this is the best option. I clipped it from their description of the device....

With its rotating buckle and metal strap rings, you can go hands-off and attach Orbit to your belt or arm band,

Strap it to your left bicep (assuming you play righty) and access it with your right hand when you need to.

I know you said it's heavier than it looks in your OP, but the product spec says it's 11.2 ounces. That's less than a can of beer. You'd probably notice that a lot less directly on your arm than levered with some additional structure.

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You're going to play Simon while you play bass? You're hardcore!

7. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    The arm thing is a cool idea, but I think that would be too obtrusive moving around.

Ken

8. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    I tried it on my left lower arm, inside forearm and found that uncomfortable. I guess I should try the upper arm. I am trying to lean against wearing it.

I think the problem is it just starts to make things look like a cheap rock band controller.

Although I had a good idea of where to place it if at our Halloween gig I dress like Darth Vadar...

Ken

9. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Well I had to come up with something when playing country tunes. No one else in the band plays chess...

Ken

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Mount it on a microphone stand.

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    You could mount it on your strap between the upper strap button and your shoulder, so that it doesn't move around when used.
    It would then be easily shifted between basses, and it wouldn't look too out of place there.
    It would be very visually distracting (read cheesy looking) if mounted on the bass.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

I know that's not exactly what you're looking to do, but it's a better idea than mounting it on you or the bass IMO.

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's completely wireless and doesn't matter where it rests on you, right? If so, how about strapping it to the outside of a thigh, kinda like a low, thigh-mounted pistol holster (probably falling somewhere in the area of a cargo-pants pouch)? Say, for instance, you play right-handed. If the Orbit was turned vertically (sideways compared to the two-handed grip) and attached to some sort of holster-like mount and strapped snugly to the outside of your left thigh, you could reach down with your left hand to work the controls. Plus, it won't bump into the body of the bass nor be smacked around by the neck/headstock.

14. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Yes completely wireless. I though about the leg mount, and then all I could think about is the tape deck from Iron Eagle. It is a good suggestion, but part of me wonders about the look. Yes I know if look was important why did I buy this crazy thing....

Ken

15. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Exactly the battle I am dealing with, function vs looking cheesy. It stands out a lot though in that strap mounted position. I think no matter how I look at it every option is a compromise.

Ken