Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding players

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Oct 27, 2004.

1. saxaphone

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. piano

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. well my band the night owls, have been thinking of maybe adding a player just one, its to hard to have 5 players at the age of 15, really any age, its very hard to get every body to come and be able to play.

currnet instruments:
    guitar
    bass
    drums

now we have thought of two instruments to spice up the sound, saxaphone or any horn, or piano (keyboard/organ).

which instrument do you think would make the music better for blues/rock?

we played a gig and we had a saxaphone player and a piano player jam with us and it was great compared to just bass, guitar, and drums.

2. SAX!!! I love how it sounds and it'll never get in my way. Keyboard players that are heavy with their left hand irritate the hell out of me.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Trumpets are cool, IMO. Trombones as well. Any brass actually. Pianos are cool too. If you had to ask me though, I'd say something brass, but that's me and I'm sure many will disagree with me.

Ray

4. thanks

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If you're 15, finding a good sax player is going to be a lot easier than finding a good piano player. Doing gigs is also going to be easier.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Why settle?

Maybe you can find a Piano player and a Sax player.
    Or a sax player that plays piano, or a piano player that plays the sax.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Get a good synthesist. Then you can have both piano and sax!

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    None of them!!!! Just an MP3 player to record click track on one channel (through headphone amp for the drummer) and whatever else the song demands (hiring a musician to record it if necesary) on the other channel (for the PA). This avoids having one more stable musician and the best of all, having to include him in every song (it's hard to tell a musician not to play in a certain song -happened to me with keyboards and saxes-). I also don't get on well with keyboardists or with more than one guitarist, so power trio or power trio + singer is definitely MY lineup. I avoid other lineups than these (and it works ok for everything I play -metal, rock, soul, funk, R&B, bossa and some reggae-).

Anyway, whatever your choice is, good luck!!!

ANDRUCA

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    ... and most of all after watching RUSH live!!!! :)

ANDRUCA

10. For Blues / Rock, I would find a strong vocalist who can also play harmonica to go along with your current guitar, bass, drums.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Blasphemy! :scowl:

Even with someone who is awesome with the pitch wheel, it will still be difficult to nail the phrasing of a sax with a keyboard.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Keys; fills space, solos, usually nerdier than bassist; won't steal women(or men).

13. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    My thinking too. As for the key tappers left hand stealing your thunder, what a great motivator to stimulate some creativity on your part to come up with the perfect line.