Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjustable Nut Question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Atomic-Hedgehog, May 17, 2005.

1. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    i've ordered an ABM brass adjustable nut for my stingray so i can have the action tuned up just the way i like it...

Has anyone ever used one on their bass (outside of a Warwick player) ?

how well does it work?
    any problems?
    do i need any luthier work to install it?

thanks...

2. can u send me a link and a idea of how much. i have a warwick with the brass one and love it and would love to get one for my fender jazz.

3. now i need to figure out if it will fit a jazz bass. how wide is the nut.

if u have a bass like a fender were the nut is in the finger board its alot more work then if u had a bass were the nut is at the end of the finger board.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ABM makes an adjustable nut, too?
    They should really update their site sometime...

Unfortunately that link is somehow not working for me...
    If there's a pic, could you please right-click, then "Copy image location" and insert it as an image over here? I'm really curious about it. I'd like an adjustable nut on my next bass, too
    Thanks!

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    BTW I just looked around for adjustable nuts.
    These look like they're same as the brass nuts of the old Warwicks.

6. love the one on my warwick and would love to get one for my fender. any one know how wide it is.

7. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    All of my Alembics have an adjustable nut. As someone who uses light gauge strings, I've found them invaluable for making adjustments. I wish all my basses had them. They make it possible for you to change string gauges and avoid the corresponding increase in buzz on the lower frets. I think you'll like yours.

Alan

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Mr. Hedgehog, do you know where the witness point is on the screws? I'm thinking if it's in the middle you have to cut some fingerboard to get it in the right place, if it's at the edge of the screw your fingerboard would be OK but then you'd have to make a full turn for any adjustment and that would be a pretty large height change.

The Alembic nut allows for very tiny height changes as the height screw are also not the string grooves.

Here's the ABM pic for those that haven't seen it.

[​IMG]

9. can any one tell me how wide thery are.

10. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    the site says that it's 1-9/16" wide
    [​IMG]

11. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004

no, the site isn't very specific on their products... but i'd imagine they'd have the
    screws' threaded so that the height chages wouldn't be very extreme. i won't know untill the decide to mail me the thing. i was told it would take 1-2 buisness days, but here i am 1 week later without it.

12. any one got any idea how hard it would to be to install ona fender bass.

13. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    that's kinda what i've been asking from the beginning, exept i want to know if it would work on my Stingray...:eyebrow:

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Just going by the picture it doesn't look like it will work on any bass. If those screws have a level slot as it looks like in the picture the witness point will be the backside of the nut meaning it won't work on any bass without cutting a chunk of the fingerboard.

The Alembic nuts and the newer Warwick ones have the adjustment screws between the slots allowing a correctly cut slot and infinite, though not separate, height adjustments.