adjuster's place on the bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by megan, Mar 7, 2004.

1. megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    I guess it's a weird question and I did not find similar thread about it...'s my first time to have an adjustable bridge and I just found out the place of my adjuster is diff. than most of pictures shown (especially saw it on all hail Bob H's website). On my bridge, the shaft of the cylinder aluminum faces outward (the round adjuster is closer to leg). Thus, when I adjusted the height of bridge, I often hit the leg of bridge and moved it. I think it's quite dangerous...
    I know I should get a lesson to learn how to use adjusters, but I'm wondering if there's any possibility it had been misplaced.....
    Please help~~~ :help:

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Do you have photo you might post? I can't really understand what you are describing.

Here is a look at my bridge. It is pretty commonly done this way. You can only see one foot, but the other has the same wheel.

3. Here's a picture of the bridge adjusters on one of my basses:

- you will see that the threaded shaft goes into the bridge, and the non-threaded shaft goes into the foot. I've seen adjusters fitted either way - I don't think it makes any difference to the sound. When you need to make an adjustment, hold the foot in place with one hand, and turn the wheel with the other…

Hope this helps -

- Wil
  4. megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    Thanks Chasarms and Wil. Your pictures are indeed helpful!
    btw, mine looks exactly like Wil's so I'm so released~ :)

5. Megan...we're so glad you're released! Sorry.

When you adjust your bridge, it's a good idea to take the tension down a little. Of course not too much or your sound post may move or fall.
    These newer Chinese basses are really overloaded with that slippery varnish spray, so be sure to grip each foot as hard as you can while turning the wheels! The feet are sitting on top of really slippery stuff.