1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adjusting straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muggle, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Muggle

Muggle

Oct 8, 2010
    I couldn't see anywhere this could fit, so I figured I'd post it here. I have a yamaha bb200, p-bass style, and I'm wondering how the strap should be adjusted while sitting down? I can't seem to find a comfortable position, either my right hand is holding the body, inhibiting full movement of my fingers to the strings, or my fretting hand is supporting some of the weight, making moving up and down the scale slower/more difficult. I'm sitting with correct posture and have my bass on my right leg(right handed player). How do you guys have your straps adjusted?
    Thanks in advance.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Adjust it the same way as standing. For best fit for you. If you want strap holding bass up above your lap, go for it. If you want bass strap a bit loose or barely holding it up, go for it. If you want strap all loose and ready for swinging bass between your legs, thats fine to. Its all your choice. Decide where you want the bass and adjust strap for that as main thing. BTW the norm for sitting is same as if you didnt have a strap on it at all. Find that position for your most comfortable, then attach and adjust strap accordingly.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Sounds to me like you suffer from neck-dive. If you put the bass naturally on your lap and upon lifting your arms up the neck's side goes down like a stone, that's what you have. A properly-fit strap could ease the situation but rarely fix it entirely.

4. I have similar comfort issues playing sat down, so I generally don't for any length of time - if I do, I get sore wrists & that's Very Bad Indeed.

I practice standing up, exactly as I do when gigging. No comfort or balance issues for 28 years that way.

Pete.