1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adjustment Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Merlin_127, May 8, 2006.

1. Merlin_127

Merlin_127

Apr 24, 2004
    I need to adjust my neck on my Washburn Taurus T25. The strings are buzzing like mad and the action is really low. I assume the wood has collectively shifted with the temp change here.

It's a 5 string, and as of now, when I hit a low C, the note comes out a dull almost toneless thud, and lots of buzz. As well, for some reason the 8th fret on the G string seems to produce the same effect but a really wierd sounding note like there is something not pressing hard enough on the fret to get the sound to come out properly.

I looked at the bass today and the neck is curved the wrong way, instead of slightly bowing inwards, it's outward. I adjusted the rod and I am awaiting results.

Am I doing the right thing here? I figured I'd ask you guys because there is no one with a sweet ****ing clue about this kind of stuff around my town. I have to drive for 4 hours to get even a half-assed kind of setup.

Apologize if this has been posted a million times.

Thanks in advance
    - Mike

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Well, I don't know about being posted a million times, but for sure quite a few times.

But that's okay. Sounds like your neck and fingerboard has been soaking up moisture from the air now that winter's over. So you have to back off the tension on your truss rod. Check the sticky thread above to see if you're adjusting it the right way and not tightening it if you're not sure.

This is common to have to make seasonal adjustments on the truss rod. Some basses are more sensitive than others. I had a Musicman that really changed a lot. My Carvin, not at all so far. My Fender P is moderate.

3. Merlin_127

Merlin_127

Apr 24, 2004
    Thanks guys

I can see a bit of change, however, the bass is neck-through, so I'm under the assumption it could (and probably will) take a bit longer to "set-in"?

The buzz on the D# on the G string is still there. The neck is pretty well flat now. But I'll give it a check tomorrow morning.

Should I let it hang, keep in the case, or keep on a flat surface when letting it settle in?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd keep it out of the case to acclimatize a bit faster. I don't know if hanging is going to slow down things or not. I keep mine on stands or hanging and haven't noticed any difference.

The weather here is still changing and not yet near the high moisture we'll get in a month or so.

Yes, maybe neck through is a bit different. If after a reasonable wait you still have a buzz that won't go away even after a careful set up, check to see if a high fret is causing the problem.

5. Merlin_127

Merlin_127

Apr 24, 2004
    The neck is taking a nice while to get it's concave bend. I have to still turn the rod a bit more. I think that was the problem though since the random note that was hardly audible now has way less buzz to it!

Thanks everyone!