Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advantages and disadvantages of each

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spidersbass, Mar 1, 2006.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    alright, this is the newbie again with a new topic. on my last post i asked about interfaces and i learned about the Firepod and was basically gonna be my first purchase, but then i get this magazine here with one of these:

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=94

and a friend of mine who uses it said it works pretty good.

now i ask all the vetarans here what are the advantages and disadvantages of each, and basically tell me which would be better. thanks a lot

in case you forgot, i wanted to build a home studio and be able to record my band. 7 piece drumset, two guitars, bass, and vocals all on track recording on a DAW

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    and here's a better version of what Alesis offers.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PHO-HELIX18FW--s-helix-18-firewire-mixer.html

after reading reviews about the alesis on the usual online music shops, many people say it isn't so great. and one guy said the Phonic Helix 18 Firewire Mixer does a better job.

he says on the alesis, you can only record up to four tracks at a time into the computer. and on the Phonic it says it can do up to 18 channels at once. does anyone have any experience with these that can tell me about this and if its true?

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
  4. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    wow, i'd get that, but its freaken expensive!!! i'll just stick to the Firepod then

5. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i've been using a firepod for the last 8 months and it rules. you can check out what i've recorded with it at www.myspace.com/deweymugglesmusic. it's the only firewire i've used so i can't speak about any others but i'm very happy with it. i want a firebox as well for smaller projects. happy recording!

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    sounds pretty damn nice and clean. what did you use other than the Firepod? what mics and amps or however you did it. sounds really good

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    it's pretty hard to find negative things to say about the Firepods. they are simple and have really nice sounding preamps.