1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for beginning slappers.

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Marty Forrer, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I see so bad information being slung around, I would like to suggest to beginners they put aside their slap bass DVDs and go watch Milt Hinton on youtube. This grand old man (now deceased) is the godfather of slap bass. He not only slaps ferociously, he does it with an ease and relaxed demenour that belies what he's playing. Willie Dixon is another old-timer who rules in this dept, but Milt Hinton is king. They didn't call him the "Judge" for nothing. Study the Judge .... you wont regret it.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  2. LowAndFunky

LowAndFunky

Dec 22, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    +1 Million! Check Milt out on the Cab Calloway tune, "Plucking The Bass." Ridiculous! :hyper:

3. Here goes...

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Milt studied and practiced classical technique all his life. If you want to specialize in slap bass, fine, but learn to play the instrument first.

5. LowAndFunky

LowAndFunky

Dec 22, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Slick Joe Fick - fun, fun, fun!

Bipslapper likes this.
  6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    :rolleyes:

7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Milt is what go me into slapping, swinging and acoustic in character....I was never such a fan of the heavily amplified rockabilly sound.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  8. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    odd statement, I've got hundreds or rockabilly recordings, and virtually none of them (save live records) have amplified doublebass.

9. LowAndFunky

LowAndFunky

Dec 22, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    +1 Geoff

10. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    +2 Geoff.

11. I also love Milt Hinton's playing, but my searches on YouTube didn't show a whole lot of clips of him playing really. Too bad, perhaps there are more and I'm just looking wrong.

12. JMcCarthy

JMcCarthy

Jan 9, 2011
    Watch some lee rocker videos for rockabilly slap and read the bass lines book by milt Hinton

13. Timothy Austin

Timothy Austin

Jun 7, 2017
    Thanks!

14. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Milt was the man, for sure! And yes, when I went to his house he had a bow and a Simandl book waiting for me. And scales. Oy vey did he make me play scales.

s van order and John Chambliss like this.
  15. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    I agree about Milt Hinton. One of the all time greats in the jazz world. So solid. Great sound. For me you cannot top the 'old school ' guys. They were bought up in the pre-amp days and had to project their sound acoustically even through the big bands they played with. The guys today may have more technique but were brought up on the amp--big difference.