Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for My Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alucidreality, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hey,
    I've been having some problems with my rig lately, but I'm not sure as to whether they are actually damaging to my speakers. My rig is a Yamaha TRB-6P fretless, running into a Hartke 4000 head into a Sonic 610 cab. The sound I like to play has higher mids and is somewhat bitey, but still maintaining a good low end. When playing in practice I have to keep my sound more bass oriented and when I start playing more tap and/or slap my amp starts to clip often. I've been wondering whether this will cause heavy damage to my speakers or if I shouldn't worry about it as much. I only have my amp turned up a quarter of the way usually so I'm not pumping it that heavily. I've seen many other local bassists who allow their amp to clip heavily every show and their speakers sound fine. Plus they're usually only playing out of a 410 and have a much more bitey sound.

So basically I'm just looking for some advice on whether I need more power, a different cab, or something else, or if I shouldn't worry. Thanks!

-Anthony

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont know a lot about Hartke's but on my head if I have a lot of Gain it distorts, so I use the Output/Master to control the volume (keeping the gain at about 1-2).

3. problem is it doesn't distort it just clips often.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need a compressor/peak limiter. Just set a brick wall at the level just below that at which the clipping starts.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My old Hartke 5000 clipped a lot as well I just tweaked the levels until the compressor/limiter light barely turned yellow when I dug in at the cost of a good bit of my volume.