Advice for Powered Speaker Choice

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Double Daddy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I play upright, and vocals, with a piano (midi sample) in a regular jazz gig at a small restaurant. I use a Behringer UB1204FX (or sometimes a Fostex MR8HD for recording) into a Yamaha MSR100 powered speaker (100 watt, single amp., 8" woofer). I have Bob Gollihur's Bass Max Pro thru a Fishman Platinum Bass Pro EQ/active direct for the bass. For bigger room gigs, I slap on a Yamaha MS400 300W (200/100 watt, 15" woofer biamped to 1" horn).

I want to have a backup big speaker, and to use as a second in really big rooms (or for stereo effect), or when we have, say, a quintet for a wedding, etc. Basically, I want to have volume capability when necessary. I want to keep weight down (I hate hauling big stuff around! - especially when the drummer proudly proclaims that I have more crap than he does!).

The MS400 has worked well, but I only bought one. Also, it weighs 53 pounds. I'm thinking about a Peavey PR10P (37 lbs) or a PR12P (43 lbs). Other than speaker size, both seem to have the same power amps. Comparison of specs of the MS400, MSR100, PR10) and PR15 P are:

Model Freq Resp Max SPL Pwr Amp Watts Wt Price
    PR10P 67Hz-20Khz 119 200/70 37 $319
    PR12P 55-20 120 200/70 43 359
    MS400 50-16 124.5 300/100 53.4 n/a
    MSR100 55-20 112 100/ 24 369

Does max SPL make a difference? Does freq rang matter (specifically considering that I play double bass through a pickup system)?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

- Double Daddy

The MS100 is no longer produced.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may want to check out the line of powered (and DSP'd to be "flat") cabs from Jim Bergantino - IP112, IP212, IP310.

3. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes Max SPL matters. consider that a 3db change represents a doubling of power. But - is the max SPL at 1Khz or across the frequency response? (do they say?) 1Khz is probably in the horn and not the speaker.

Check the frequency response for flatness, and see what they mean by the low end cut off point. Is the low end down by 3 or 6 db on the low end? For reference low E is 41hz, but you don't need to reproduce the fundamental to get a good bass sound (IMHO). The frequency chart can also indicate if there is a sharp or gradual rolloff on the low end. Gradual can be compensated for with eq at lower volume levels. Generally flatness is key as you can equalize around it.

I would suggest you also check out the JBL EON G2. You can find published specs with frequency charts for it also. They are more money, but are in similar weight range, good specs, reliable.

I expect the trend is that you'll see more of these types of cabinets and them getting lighter, more powerful and with better specs.

I haven't seen any published specs on Berg IP cabinets. They look good to me, but as pointed out in another thread - bass gear typically doesn't publish specs where pro-sound usually does. The IP are also very expensive comparatively. I would like to see published specs.