advice on lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mwlaurenson, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    I've been thinking about getting some lessons for a little while now. I know of a couple of really good jazz players in the area who offer lessons and i was thinking about speaking to them to see what they can offer.

Any advice on what to ask about to make sure i am getting a good teacher? My concern is that an hour could slip by very quickly without me feeling I got my moneys worth so to speak!
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Couple of things to ask about - course outline, and lesson plans, and how will your progress be assessed. Ask for some references maybe. If they're teaching you stuff on the fly, ask for a big discount.

Teaching is a skill in itself.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    You've made the choice to take lessons, so I'm assuming there is a reason for that.

Tell your teacher what it is you want to get from the lessons and listen to what they have to say about how you are going to get there. Play for your teacher and do what they suggest for a few lessons. If there seems to be a question about how you are going to reach your goals, it may be time for a new teacher.

But remember, its YOUR responsibilty to make the most of and get the most from your lessons. Be prepared! Do everything you are asked to do AND MORE. In school (except college) it is the teachers job to motivate the student. With private lessons it is the assumption that the student is the one who is motivated and the teacher is the source of information. It's NOT their job to 'make you good', you have to do that yourself.
  4. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Excellent post BassChuck!

Hey mwl -
    You may want to consider taking some lessons from a good jazz guitar teacher or pianist if you have the bassics under your fingers. These guys can really help you out with hearing chords and different voicings. Also can share ideas about backing.

Of course, as with all teachers, check out a few to see what each has to offer.

Just an alt idea.