1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on recommended Squier CV 60's Jazz upgrades please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mashup, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mashup

mashup

Jan 6, 2008
    I just bought a used Squier CV 60's jazz & it's being delivered on Wednesday. I've been rooting around some of the forums (Basschat, Talkbass etc.) & found threads on CV 60's Jazz upgrades & mods that players & owners have had done, but for some reason, i can't seem to find the links anymore...

Hence the post. I've read a few mixed reviews on the stock pickups, but largely they have been received very positively, so I'm not sure whether this is an area that i would upgrade...but what do you think? Would you/Have you upgraded the stock pickups & If so, what to & what difference did this make to the overall sound of this bass? Was it a worthwhile upgrade?

From what i remember of the threads i was reading the other day, the electronics would benefit from a complete upgrade up to Fender USA Jazz specs, replacing the tone & volume pots, caps, wiring & switch jack. Has anyone else done this? I can't seem to find a USA Jazz bass Re-Wire upgrade kit anywhere online. If this is something that you have done, again, is so, what did you use?

Are there any other upgrades that i should consider? Some players/owners mentioned changing the tuners but i doubt that this is something I'll do unless absolutely necessary

Any feedback & pointers from Squier CV 60's Jazz players & owners would be really appreciated,

Thanks

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Very good QC and pickups more "true" to the Classic Vibe promise than the basswood body and HiMass bridge.

But, as basswood body and HiMass bridge have other qualities than just Classic Vibe (which isn't the case) I, for example, love to mix things up, especially a classic lookin' (only) with more
    modern (and discrete) upgrades

On mine I put a US Bartolini on neck pickup (which is deep and
    dark sounding and can reminish a split pickup in that position);
    a Seymour Duncan HotStack in the bridge pickup (which is a high output midrange growler: like split pickup in that position),
    and a Hipshot BT1 bass extender to let me go from D, G, C, F to C, G, C, F.

That's it

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: ah... and no thumbrest, please...

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    You should probably get the bass first before modding it. It may be great the way it is.

4. Get it, change the strings, play it, see how you like it. Set it up, set your preferred string height & intonate. Than make some decisions about where you'd like to go with it.

On my SqVMJ-5 (After I did all the aforementioned) I changed out the pups for Duncan SJB3-5's (SJB1 would retain the vintage bite), a Babicz full contact bridge and some DR Lo-riders. A different, and much better sounding bass than it was in stock form.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Absolutely dont change anything until you get it in your hands and set up with your strings ... these are pretty surprising as is ...

... just a heads up, but the string spacing and mounting pattern is slightly wider than the stock Fender 5 hole mounting pattern ... I have replaced the stock brass saddle higher mass bridge with a vintage threaded saddle bridge, and filled and redrilled new mounting holes ... nice little basses, they can tend to be a bit on the heavier side, but fit and finish as well as sound and playability are well above what I expected when I got the first one a few years back ... I have also found them to be quite consistent with each other, as I have had a few ...

6. This^^
    Don't be so quick to start modding a Squier just because it seems everybody does it and it's the thing to do. (they don't and it's not)
    I, and many other Squier owners have changed nothing (except maybe for aesthetic reaosns) on these basses because we find them to be excellent instruments as they come stock.
    Get it, change the strings, get it setup, and play it a while before even thinking of modding.

7. mashup

mashup

Jan 6, 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's been very helpful indeed. Ok, well i will wait for the bass, restring it, play it for a while & then re-access. Great advice really & I'm glad to be re-assured that these are great basses stock.

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    plus one to all of this - they play and perform great (far better than price would suggest)

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    After new strings and a setup, I can't find a good reason to mess with mine at all.

About the only "mod" I did was to take a Scothcbrite pad to reduce the gloss on the back of the neck to a satin finish.

10. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I think the CV pu's are great. I don't see the point of buying a good bass at a good price just to spend more money on it for what will be a negligible improvement -- if any.

11. tg42

tg42

Mar 29, 2013
    Ordu, Turkey
    I changed the pickups on my CVJB to Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass Pickups 60s, pots to CTS and input jack to Switch Craft. I like the changes so far: a clearer, rounder and more powerful tone.

12. fmachia

fmachia

Nov 19, 2012
    Argentina
    I did not change anything to mine... yet. I may change the pickups, and pots, but no rush, it growls nicely now with volumes and tone dimed, picking just behind the neck pickup! :bassist:

As someone else pointed out, they tend to be on the heavier side, mine is 9.5-10 punds. It's allright for me, and balances well on a strap, but if you are looking for a flyweight...

Post pictures of it when you get it!:hyper:

13. DaBeat

DaBeat

Nov 19, 2008
    What about changing the tuners to lightweight ones (Hipshot ultralights for example) Any experiences?