1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    What's up everyone? I am currently in the market for a new bass. Currently I play a Carvin LB70W, which I love, but I am looking for something new to add to my arsenal. Anyway, I am a little undecided. I am looking for either a) a classic fretless, capable of singing tones and jazzy mwah, or b) a six string which can let me have solid bass tone but also experiment with chords and solo work (perhaps fretless as well?). Something between these two would even be ideal! Anyway, you guys all know more about basses than me, so I figured I would ask. My price range is up to about $2000, I would say. Thanks! :bassist:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get a used fretless Carvin six. There seem to be a lot of them on Ebay.

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I wouldn't go both fretless and extended range unless you've tried it and know that it's something you're comfortable with. Combining them just makes it more likely that you won't find it usable and won't get into either, dig?

If I were you, I'd put a lot of thought into what's going to be the most usable and comfortable to you. Does the expanded upper range and chordal potential seem more practical, or would you be more likely to get into the singing mwah of fretless? Both expand your realm of possibilities, both are tools that have helped to make some beautiful music.

But unless you're sure that you'd be comfortable with the combination, I'd try one out first, get comfortable with it, then try the other later if you still want to.

My .02 :)

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I'm sure you're right. That's probably why there are many used fretless Carvin sixes around.:p

5. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Yeah, I could work with one or the other - fretless or extended range, that is - but not both at the same time. I have enough of a challenge wrestling the 4.

It seems like many who order a fretless ERB don't really know what they're getting themselves into - taking one step is significant enough without adding another to get used to. Such a major change (assuming a shift from 4 string/fretted) is almost like promising yourself frustration and at least some degree of buyer's remorse/real deal regret.

That's why I have such enormous respect for the cats who can pull it off and make it work. They have much more patience and self-discipline than I do :meh:

EDIT: Skimmed the 'bay for a couple minutes - You weren't kidding about the number of used fretless sixers. Sheesh.

6. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Good advice! I hadn't really thought about dealing with both at the same time, because I am originally an upright player so it would definitely be hard for me to adjust on six string. Also took a look at ebay and there are some nice Carvins on there. I am trying to stay away from Carvins just because I want to diversify my sound a little, but I will keep that in mind for sure. Thanks for the advice guys!