1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advise Me

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have searching for a second overdrive for what seems like forever. My Blueberry is the one of two overdrives that I've been completely happy with. The other was the Dredgetone Angler, which is as rare as rocking horse poo, but wasn't "different" enough from my Blueberry to warrant both of them on the same board.

Ive tried and didn't like enough to buy/keep:

Fulltone Bassdrive - don't like TS clones or their mid boost
    Xotic BB preamp - ditto
    DOD250 - too middy/trebley
    Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket - voiced for guitar thickness, created a wall of mud for bass
    Soldano GTO - voiced for guitar and way too trebley
    Hao Rustride - bass loss (this pedal is great with a two amp setup, but I don't do that anymore)
    Ibanez plastic thing SB7? - ick just ick

I'm beginning to think that my idea of a heavy OD will actually be found in a fuzz, but that I'm still naive enough to hope.

Basically I want a OD that takes my tone and overdrives it without adding mids/treble or losing bass or thickness. Generally on the darker side of things.

I'm interested in:

Pigtronix Disnortion - I'm skeptical that I can find one other OD that I like, much less 2 (and a fuzz) in the same unit. Still it's interesting.
    EBS Multidrive/Valvedrive - reviewed as dark/rolling off treble
    Homebrew Hematoma - people review this as what I want, but I haven't had a chance to try it.
    DAM Ezekiel - skeptical about this one because, DavidMWilson (resident OD authority) burned this one. Also Toasted (who it was created for) posted some not so nice things about it.

My most recent acquisition is a HK Tubefactor so this might turn out to be all for naught, but advise me given what I said. First person who tells me to search gets beheaded and the first to tell me that try before I buy will be forced to move to Starkville and visit the music store that has had the same one bass for three years.

Thanks for reading all that, if you did.

Peace,
    Adam

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
  3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I'm gonna hope you'll be happy with the Tube Factor. I have never had a complaint about mine, The OD side of it is nice and gritty but without any signal loss or degrade, if anything I think my bass sounds better (fuller, stronger even with the gain turned down) with the pedal on.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :rollno: Whatever, MB.

Abark, regarding the Disnortion, I'm not sure it's what you want. The OD side really does sound amazingly like a tube amp at the "just being overdriven" end of the spectrum, but not at full-blown power tube crunch. It has a "biting" quality, which increases as you increase your attack on the strings. It doesn't increase treble or lose bass, but it essentially just adds more snarl and bite the harder you play.

People commented on my (admittedly poor and hasty) sound samples as being better for stoner sludge than anything else, and indeed that is the sound I like best from it. That's what the fuzz/OD blend provides. I don't really like the OD or the fuzz individually, playing solo, but I haven't tried them in a band context yet.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you tried any of the EHX pedals? The English Muff'n has an amazing array of sounds in it - even more if you get into tube-swapping - from really subtle tubey warmth to full-raging grind. I'm also loving the Little Big Muff because it gets me a very different sound than the Muff'n. I bought the LBM because it was cheap and I was frustrated in my own search for a second dirt pedal (although not as extensive as yours). I figured it was at least worth a try, and fell in love from note one. Both pedals do a great job keeping the low end thick.

6. I'm going to second nad's vote for the hematoma

i use mine as pretty much my only effect (outside fo compression) in a cover band i play with...great for fingerstyle or picking, flats or rounds, vintage warmth or modern nasty grit...everything

i only have one problem with mine (i think it has to do with my signal chain and/or cables) - either channel creates a considerable amount of hum when i use them (more so the boost), and if i wanna use both, its very very hard not to get crazy feedback...has this happened with u, nad?

in my other band, i use the 3 channel timmy c style setup, and it will never make it to that board...y? - because its TOO GOOD...im taking an excellent clean signal and putting 2 crappy nasty sounding ones on top of it...when i tried doing that using the hematoma as one of my overdrives, i ended up shutting off my clean amp because it sounded good enough like that, but, when i used the wahs, i missed my clean signal, so, it came right off the board never to be seen there again

regardless of the noise issue, it sounds too good to ever get rid of...if i had to choose one pedal and one pedal only for the rest of my life - it'd be the hematoma

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I buy a bunch of junk and move it in and out of my life. I've not tried a ton of OD pedals, but I basically stopped looking after I got a Hematoma (still curious about a couple, the BJF and the Dredgetone you mentioned).

Of all the pedals I have, it's the one I would take with me for nearly any situation. I find it easy to dial-in, sounds great to my ear and having the extra clean boost is always a plus.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    "try before you buy"

I really dislike this advice. My entire current rig was purchased without ever trying any of it, amp, cabinet, all effects, and even one bass (which I happen to use the most out of my 4). Reason being is that it takes more than 5 minutes at a crowded music store to know what you can do with some equipment, especially effect pedals because it can take many a moon to discover that One Secret Setting that gives you THE tone you've been after your entire life.

Slightly off topic, sorry. :smug:
    I have been able to coax feedback out of my Hematoma, but it takes some work. I know that it really accentuates existing hum, like when I solo one of my jazz pickups, but in normal context it's pretty quiet! Hopefully yours is just something else in your loop being made louder?

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

+1 for the English Muff'n...

10. I love my Mesa-Boogie Bottle Rocket. I'm able to get a great sustaining overdrive with the treble boosted and the lows rolled back a bit. Maybe yours needed some different tubes or something. Anyways, my favorite heavy overdrive tones for bass come from combining gain stages. You should try a pedal that emphasizes more odd order harmonic content into the front end of your Blueberry. I swear by my Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos for this purpose. I run it first to generate a bit of controled chaos (odd ordered harmonic content), and then into my Bottle Rocket to smooth it out a bit with the traditional even ordered overtone overdrive voicing. That in addition to the Chaos being able to generate a synthy fuzz type tone on its own (kind of like the Crowther Prunes & Custard but with a more natural bottom end and control over whether the overtones respond dynamicly to your playing). Anyways, that would be a way to go that would be a little less redundant.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have never enjoyed the sound of multiple overdrive circuits simaltaneously.

I've considered the Wolftone stuff, but lack of any bassists using them (though I had read about you using it in your previous posts) kind of put me off of them.

Thanks for the input.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Granted clips mean diddly squat in the grand scheme, but all the clips I've heard reminded me of the vibe I got from the other Tube guitar pedals. I'd try it if I found one in a store, but I'm not actively seeking one of those.

I've considered the Little Big Muff, especially it's price point. Maybe I'll grab one and flip it if I don't care for it.

13. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Do check out the T-Rex Bass Juice! Goes from mild grit to full on distortion with a tubey compression in the most extreme settings. I'm getting one used soon hopefully!

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I kind of figured, but I'm glad you chimed in.

Granted I like the doom-ier side of stoner over the faux-70's stuff, but my favorite doom tone is a detuned bass through a Fuzzface and my preamp's octaver. A wall of indistingiushable mush that is doom-aliscious. Similar to Unearthy Trance or Tusk.

Cyrus, if you like doom/stoner you should check out Ron's (ron now) band's Guaime and Bongripper they are both damn good.

Peace,
    Adam

15. I dont really care for multiple overdrive circuits simultaneosly either. The Wolftone Chaos is basicaly a fuzz unit. I'm just talking about crafting an overdrive sound in a similar way to alot of the classic guitar sounds. It's kind of like how Hendrix used to run into a germanium fuzz which generates a certain odd ordered overtone response and then into overdriven tube Marshall heads which smoothes out the signal with a more controlled character. I think you would probably get the results you're looking for with a fuzz of some sort into the front end of your OD. Are you just looking for more gain than you get from your Blueberry? Are you looking for something with a darker voicing? Both?

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The clips I've heard didn't interest me. Several people have said they are good, but not good to be sold at their price point.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Actually, I've seriously considered buying another Blueberry to set at more overdriven settings, but I think I want to have something noticeably different for heavier overdrive.

18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I'm sublimely happy with my $15-new original DOD Bass Grunge.

It has blend, high distortion, low distortion and output volume. While it can give you fuzz, the high end distortion allows for a wicked heavy distortion tone. Give it a shot if you can find an old one.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not an attack against you, but that statement is impossible. Short of designed units with both fuzz and distortion in the same unit, cranking a distortion doesn't give you fuzz.

Splitting hairs, but those terms are used far too interchangeably.

I'll see if I can't track one down if they are only twenty bucks. Unless it is one of those poorly constructed older DOD stuff like the FX25B; then no dice.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The way I have my Muff'n set gives me a edgey, gritty OD tone. Mine is loaded with 12AX7 tubes that add to the gritty character of it. IIRC, most of the online clips of the thing tend to be pretty cranked-up, and do not necessarily portray everything it can do. I use mine pretty mildly. However, as you well know, what works for one person might not work for another. The Muff'n is a great pedal for what it does, but isn't the answer for everyone.

In my quest for a pedal to compliment my Muff'n, I had tried tried the Boss HM-2 (uh...no), Keeley-modded Rat (where'd my bass go?), Woolly Mammoth (amazing, but too sterile), and Frantone Lo-Tone (lots of low end, but no definition) and ended up with nothing but a smaller bank balance and continued frustration. I bought the LBM just because it was cheap and to see what everyone was so exited about. My tendancy is towards boutique-ish pedals because they're different from what everyone else has, but the LBM showed me there's a good reason why it's so popular for bass - it's freakin' great (for my needs). The tone and sustain control make a big difference in the sound, and dark is certainly in there. Again, it might not be the answer for you, but it's hard not to at least give it a try.

Good luck in your hunt, and let us know what you come up with.